May 02, 2024, 02:16:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

ultima wiring harness

Started by roadkingdresser, September 18, 2021, 11:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Anybody use the Ultima Custom wiring harness and have trouble with it down the road. Built a bobber in 2017 and used one only problem i had with it was with the rear t/s. Never put that many miles on it ,600 at the most. Washed it the other day blowed it dry and took for a small ride,put it back in the garage and plugged the battery tender in. Came home today and was opening the door to the gage and sounded like some one was using a 1/4" ratchet. for some unknown reason the starter was clicking like crazy. unhooked the battery and quit. Got to checking it out and when i put the grnd. wire on the solenoid it wants to kick in. Anybody ever run into this.The wire coming from the stsart button only has power when i push the butto. :scratch:
roadkingdresser

smoserx1

September 18, 2021, 01:08:39 PM #1 Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 01:13:58 PM by smoserx1
QuoteGot to checking it out and when i put the grnd. wire on the solenoid it wants to kick in. Anybody ever run into this.

Do you mean the green wire?  That is the only wire to the solenoid I know of.  Yes I saw it happen to a friend while riding but I don't know what caused it in his case.  I removed the wire for him hoping it hadn't trashed his ring and pinion gears too badly and for the rest of the day we had to push start him.  If the start relay were to fail so the coil did not release it could happen.  The relay contacts controlling this are 30 and 87, visible on the relay bottom.  30 should be hot any time the ignition switch is on but 87 should only be hot while the starter button is pressed.  Temporarily swap the relay out with another one like the brake light relay and see if this is the issue.

roadkingdresser

Thanks Smoserx1, When I built this thing I used a relay from a Peterbilt truck. Not sure what was going on but this morning I went out,put the wire back on the solenoid and nit was normal. started it a couple times seemed o.k. I wasn't comfortable with that so in put a toggle switch in the wire (green) going to the solenoid. It won't start with the toggle switch off.
roadkingdresser

smoserx1

:up:
Glad it is back to normal.  I don't know if getting wet could have caused current to bleed from one terminal to another.  I know it can with household voltages (seen it happen), but in case you or anyone else is interested here is a very good explanation of how automotive relays operate:

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

misfitJason

Do you by any chance have a waterproof ignition switch?
Something like this

2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

roadkingdresser

roadkingdresser

misfitJason

Roger. The moles like the picture would trap water in the ignition and cause a faulty "on" leading to me melting a coil and a humming noise coming from the starter. Happened to me twice before I figured out that the water was running down into the ignition and staying there
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail