April 24, 2024, 04:26:28 AM

News:

Back in the gearbox..

Started by 1340evo, September 17, 2021, 09:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

So, any ideas why this would be getting so hot? RHS layshaft has melted the thread lock material out of the nut!!

thumper 823

Are you sure this is not from someone else working on it?
I would think if you had a bearing dragging that hard and
converting that much power to heat,  you would have a LOT of other problrms.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

1340evo

Nope, I was in there 1000 miles ago to convert to splined shaft, but the heat could of been there before. I though the black on the bottom of the box was some overspray or something at the time, but it could be burnt oil?
Picture 1 is how it looked the first time I opened it up. Picture 2 is what I've got now.. the the black was there initially.
Maybe just cheap locking nuts but how hot does the gearbox get?

Burnout

It doesn't look like that bearing is tight to the snap ring.
If the bearing is out of position that could mess with it.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

1340evo

on the bench, everything is nice and free, the gear teeth look fine, enough play in both bearings, nothing look wrong??.. maybe just a cheap nasty nut? they will make some heat and ive never noticed it smelling hot or water boiling on it or anything? the oil looks good??

1340evo

September 17, 2021, 02:12:53 PM #5 Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 02:38:25 PM by 1340evo
Nothing to see in here that binding, tight, burnt.. its all quite free and play in the bearings etc.. all looks good.. very strange?

TBH that nut was not coming off as I'd put threadlock on it as well...

Can you re-use the C clips??

Naear

Looks good my case had over spray inside aswell
That's so weird with that nut very strange at least that spring waited till almost fall to snap.

1340evo

September 17, 2021, 03:07:08 PM #7 Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 04:23:43 PM by 1340evo
Thats good to know, i think it started life as a black case

Maybe the thread lock reacted with it.. but sure as hell was not coming off  :smile:

whilst I'm in here again I'm doing the big output bearing as it does made a noise, I'll may do the roller ones as well... Try find a way to get that big circlip out!

1340evo

September 18, 2021, 06:18:42 AM #8 Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 06:47:04 AM by 1340evo
May of found something.. the spacers for the shafts have two differant numbers, 3 & 4 on the diagram. If you look at my gears they are not 100% lined up.. just wondering if these have been switched?
Anyone know the size for these things?

No, thats not it.. one has a lip on the hold the needle roller mid gear.. you can't mix them...