March 29, 2024, 02:23:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

5th gear bearing depth ?

Started by 1340evo, September 19, 2021, 04:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

So I'm just checking everything I can now in the box and have removed the seal from the end of 5th gear.
the brown seal was fitted, but the one with blue on it came in the spares box. it has been fitted but removed before use, so guess he messed up the fitting of the thing.
But here's the question, the needle bearing looks to be pushed in a long way. Do these bearing get pushed to a shoulder inside or pushed to a depth? I'm thinking he may of over pressed the seal and pushed the bearing further in?

xlfan

No shoulder, outboard bearing .280" below, inboard bearing .070" below

1340evo

September 19, 2021, 04:52:31 AM #2 Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:32:25 AM by 1340evo
Hi, It's in at about .295 so maybe he has hit the thing a bit deep? May be worth getting a new one and getting it spot on, with a tad of bearing seal... no shoulder !?

Both now out.. Torrington bearings.. are these OE?

Also, whats the best end seal to use and is it worth replacing the 4 off gear bearings? if so are MoCo best???

FSG

time to put a squirell cage spacer in there

1340evo

Tell me more... what is it.. I did wonder about a thin walled spacer between the two needle bearings... Could it be this?

turboprop

Quote from: 1340evo on September 19, 2021, 01:49:53 PM
Tell me more... what is it.. I did wonder about a thin walled spacer between the two needle bearings... Could it be this?

Yes, but not an issue for your relatively stock engine. Big engines can sometimes cause the two bearings inside the fifth gear to walk in towards each other. This rarely ever happens until horsepower exceeds 140-ish.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

1340evo

Might it be worth making one anyway as it's a easy thing to turn up.
Would you use bearing fit on these bearings?

turboprop

Quote from: 1340evo on September 20, 2021, 12:25:33 AM
Might it be worth making one anyway as it's a easy thing to turn up.
Would you use bearing fit on these bearings?

Slip fit.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

thumper 823

Sort off topic, sort of on.....
In my case, i needed a couple of parts, a shaft,  usual stuff.
But transmission parts are REALLY expensive!
Adding it all up and not done, the bill came with 300 bucks of a new Baker!  (Cassatt)
What's a guy to do?   !!!
The answer was EZ
The New Baker with N1 shift pattern, and overdrive!
Done!
That is something to think bout in a tear dwn with a lot of miles.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH