March 28, 2024, 02:48:22 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

opened/removed the primary drive, been a minute.

Started by 76shuvlinoff, September 19, 2021, 03:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

September 19, 2021, 03:48:28 PM Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 05:51:53 PM by 76shuvlinoff
 As near as I can deduce I have roughly 36,000 miles since the last time I tore down the primary drive on my 76 FLH.  I am getting a silver dollar size spot below the low point of the primary after a ride but in a few days it seems to stop dripping. Move the bike, no new spot until the next ride.   :scratch:  The drips from the case vent land on the other side of the bike. The primary is isolated. I would think if it was the outter to inner gasket It would drip until it ran out.

I found no burning on the Rivera clutch plates or friction discs but the friction disc material appeared extremely thin. (I honestly can't remember what it looked like in 2004 when new) If anyone has a one open it would be nice to compare the thickness of new discs and plates to the thickness of these used ones. If not no sweat. I ordered a new clutch pack from Rivera anyhow and will soon be able to make my own comparison. As I recall it took about 250 miles for the dang thing to quit grabbing.

I definitely need a new primary case bearing. This one is toast, I am just glad it hadn't seized and spun. Sadly ( to me) it seems my only choice for a 9R16 bearing keeps coming up off shore.

The O ring and lip for the primary to engine seal is good and dry (An S&S case mated to a beefy Cal products inner) 

Pulled the rotor, the open 32 amp stator looks/smells great.

Motor sprocket and clutch shell teeth look fantastic. Need to give the chain a once over.  If it matters I've been running Redline MTL since the Rivera went in.

There was so much road grunge around the entire trans sprocket area I couldn't tell you if the trans mainshaft seal leaks or not. I'll assume it does but the grunge wasn't wet. Since I am in there I know I should look at it. Do I have to make an extra-deep 1 7/8" socket or do they exist? Found em on eBay. Confession time. The last time I removed a trans sprocket I used a hammer and a punch to remove that nut...... yeah I know  :embarrassed:....   It's RH threaded correct?     Youtube reminded me it's a LH thread.

It feels pretty good to work on the old girl again. I am trying to wrap her up during warm(er) weather because the 12 Fatbike needs to hit the lift for new shoes this winter.

Mark

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

FSG

have a look for a MRC/SKF R16ZZ ...... 

they're cheap here, I can send you one if needed   :SM:

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

billbuilds

Quote from: FSG on September 19, 2021, 10:58:04 PM
have a look for a MRC/SKF R16ZZ ...... 

they're cheap here, I can send you one if needed   :SM:

That's a sealed bearing and what I have used in a belt primary setup, plus they're USA made. The last ime I bought a primary cover gasket for a shovel I payed the long dollar for one of the newer style steel core gaskets. They seem to seal better than the James and they're reusuable.

76shuvlinoff

When I put the Cal Products inner on some twenty years ago it came with the Peer sealed bearing. I'll admit thats pretty good service but this time I want better if I can get it.

At the time Cal Products was right here in Michigan.

The gasket I took off was a steel cored gasket. The primary has been opened a few times reusing it.
 - Ernest Hemingway

guppymech

When I replaced the inner primary bearing I removed the bearing inner shield so it would be lubed with primary oil, isolated primary oiling. Got about 12k miles on it so far. 
'84 FXE, '02 883R

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: guppymech on September 20, 2021, 07:46:25 AM
When I replaced the inner primary bearing I removed the bearing inner shield so it would be lubed with primary oil, isolated primary oiling. Got about 12k miles on it so far.

My memory fails me now but wasn't the factory bearing open?

I ordered a sealed SKF R16ZZ from MSC. I get to use the company discount and get free shipping that way.
 - Ernest Hemingway

capn

You should be able to get a primary bearing at your local bearing supply.My local place has them and he had the thin primary seals as well.

guppymech

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on September 20, 2021, 08:02:18 AM
My memory fails me now but wasn't the factory bearing open?

I ordered a sealed SKF R16ZZ from MSC. I get to use the company discount and get free shipping that way.
I believe the early years the bearing was open and later it went to sealed on both sides, at least that's what I remember from when I was researching H-D's part number changes.
'84 FXE, '02 883R