March 29, 2024, 12:27:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Antigravity ATX30-RS

Started by Ohio HD, September 19, 2021, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd

turboprop has a good point with the tender and restart.  I have monitored the charging cycle on the CTEC unit I have and it is very techie.  There are 8 levels of charge rate that it proceeds through when hooked up.  If the battery is low it starts at the bottom and progresses through all 8 windows.  The final is float and it cycles as you would expect without steady feed.  When it is adding to a low battery it has a very high rate and will even be felt in heat generated at / on the charger unit. I was able to follow it as it was recorded on my Battery Tracker device.

I have one more comment on the difference between the RS and HD batteries and then I will back away.  Technically speaking, both units are in fact restart batteries by the nature of the way the BCM will cut out (put to sleep) both styles.  One has a switch and circuit (RS) which takes up space in the case and reduces the available CCA, and the other (HD) has no physical restart mechanism installed which allows more room in the case and therefore allows a higher CCA.  The HD however is woke up by a simple 12V signal spike touched to the battery.  The HD has more CCA power and therefore does allow a lower state of discharge before it goes to sleep. It is therefore more tolerant of the amperage spike that can be encountered that will trigger the sleep mode on both types battery or if left on for any reason. On the RS you have to access the button. I never did ask if it could be reactivated by tickling it with 12V like the HD but it seems it may.  The short explanation is both are restart capable batteries.  One has the button and the other gets a 12V touch-up.   :nix:

The SAE connector I have installed and is accessible at the seat is good for my heated gear or any other accessory (such as a phone etc) I care to power.  I can carry a cigarette lighter plug and extension to excite the battery from another 12v source or use my XP-10 jumpstart pac that I carry to do everything including run my mini tire pump, lap top or chg my phone etc..  I felt if it failed I would be able to claim the longer warranty in good conscience as it is the recommended battery for my high compression 120 that also has security, a fob searching constantly, clock and LO-JAC tracking for theft recovery (not many bikes have this) constantly bearing down on it when not in use so I chose the HD.  I have never had it go to sleep even when not in use for a month or maybe more.

KD

itsafatboy

I got the ATX20 - hd , for my 116" softail 11.0 comp , like the extra room , spins bike like its stock no probel at all , i did see i chose wrong but it was to late i suppose , it has 900 cca so not sure what was wrong about it , so far so good ,  i also have manual compression releases and always use them,

Ohio HD

The battery showed up on Thursday. Got around to opening the boxes today and am putting a top off charge on it. Amazing how light these are.

The clips on the charging cable of the CTEK charger are really designed for a larger post or lug. I'll get some more appropriately sized clips and replace these for future use. They also sent the on board/bike charging harness for the battery for a large screw, maybe a 10.0mm. So I had to order another on bike harness for the 6.0mm sized screws. I bought it from Amazon and will have it Tuesday. I'll wait to put this in the bike, maybe next weekend.     

[attach=0]

itsafatboy

so do the lithium JR tenders work ok for these i have one and leave it one the bike all the time when im not using , or should you not keep these always charged not sure on these new batteries , thanks

Appowner

A proper Lithium charger/tender senses the state of charge in the battery and shuts off the charge current when the battery is at peak.  Then over time as the charge state decreases due to various parasitic devices on the bike the charger will sense this and turn the charge current back on.

Check with the manufacturer of the charger and/or battery to make sure your does this.  Leaving a Lithium battery on active charge for too long (over charging) is as bad as discharging it too deeply.  It can damage the cells and in worse cases cause a fire.

IMHO a bike with a lithium that's used at least once a week for at least 30 miles shouldn't need to be left on a tender.  I have one of those booster batteries to jump cars with.  It's made by AntiGrav.  I top off the charge and put it on the shelf.  I check it every 3 months or so and end up topping off the charge every 6 months unless it gets used.  During the summer I use it for my RC Airplane flight box.  It can also be used as a cell phone, laptop and tablet charger.  Handy little battery that fits in a jacket pocket.

kd

September 26, 2021, 05:29:37 AM #30 Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 05:35:15 AM by kd
Ohio's CTEC charger does it all.  It will show you what stage of 8 levels it is in and when it is in float for maintenance.  It's real interesting to see the different charging levels it goes through. Some steps are at a rate much higher than common Lithium battery discussions would lead you to believe. I have confirmed that by monitoring it with my AG Bluetooth Battery Tracker.

BTW Brian, AG has all of the size harness eyes etc  it most fail to realize what they need when ordering.  Ask me how I know.  🤪
KD

Rockout Rocker Products

September 26, 2021, 09:54:26 AM #31 Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 10:07:50 AM by Rockout Rocker Products
Charging my ATX30 this morning with the CTEK charger... couple things...

@100% charge* the charger is only at level 2, same level it started at @85%. The charger is uncomfortably hot.... 140f on my Fluke temp gun.

Charger probably going back to Amazon.

=edit=.... I have the BT battery tracker
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

kd

I noticed the same thing about my CTEC.  I immediately did some research and unbelievably it is normal.  It is still one of the AG recommended chargers.  Mine has been fine.  Just builds more heat than I am accustomed to.
KD

Ohio HD

Quote from: kd on September 26, 2021, 05:29:37 AM
Ohio's CTEC charger does it all.  It will show you what stage of 8 levels it is in and when it is in float for maintenance.  It's real interesting to see the different charging levels it goes through. Some steps are at a rate much higher than common Lithium battery discussions would lead you to believe. I have confirmed that by monitoring it with my AG Bluetooth Battery Tracker.

BTW Brian, AG has all of the size harness eyes etc  it most fail to realize what they need when ordering.  Ask me how I know.  🤪

It's just easer to order the harness from the CTEK store on Amazon. I bought the CTEK charger from AG, ordered the ATX30 from Dennis Kirk as they have free shipping and it was $50 less than AG retail.

04 SE Deuce

CTEK charger gets hot, one of my friend's does the same...normal.

Ohio HD

September 26, 2021, 02:37:25 PM #35 Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 09:01:14 AM by Ohio HD
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on September 26, 2021, 09:54:26 AM

@100% charge* the charger is only at level 2, same level it started at @85%. The charger is uncomfortably hot.... 140f on my Fluke temp gun.

I'm new to lithium and this brand charger. But mine has been on now for almost 24 hours. It's barely warm on the back side of the charge. No where near 140°. As long as the charger is sized right, I don't know why it would get that hot. Probably needs to be sent back. When you bought that from Amazon, did you use the CTEK store? If so just send them a note through the CTEK support line on their web site.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 26, 2021, 02:37:25 PM

I'm new to lithium and this brand charger. But mine has been on now for almost 24 hours. It's barley warm on the back side of the charge. No where near 140°. As long as the charger is sized right, I don't know why it would get that hot. Probably needs to be sent back. When you bought that from Amazon, did you use the CTEK store? If so just send them a note through the CTEK support line on their web site.

It was from the CTEK store.... it's on it's way home.

I notice in your pic above the light is on stage 2, as mine was at full charge. Did yours ever progress through the stages? Could it have heated up then cooled down by the time you checked it?

Amazon uses (among other places) Kohl's dept. stores for returns. You don't even box it up... just present the item with your QR code. The return receipt was also a $5 Kohl's coupon so I used it on a belt I went there to also buy  :up:

Ohio HD

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on September 26, 2021, 04:04:48 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on September 26, 2021, 02:37:25 PM

I'm new to lithium and this brand charger. But mine has been on now for almost 24 hours. It's barley warm on the back side of the charge. No where near 140°. As long as the charger is sized right, I don't know why it would get that hot. Probably needs to be sent back. When you bought that from Amazon, did you use the CTEK store? If so just send them a note through the CTEK support line on their web site.

It was from the CTEK store.... it's on it's way home.

I notice in your pic above the light is on stage 2, as mine was at full charge. Did yours ever progress through the stages? Could it have heated up then cooled down by the time you checked it?

Amazon uses (among other places) Kohl's dept. stores for returns. You don't even box it up... just present the item with your QR code. The return receipt was also a $5 Kohl's coupon so I used it on a belt I went there to also buy  :up:

It's at full right now, and isn't as hot as you described. Just a spot on the back of the charger has a warm feel.

I had forgotten about Kohls, I used that a few years ago. Sure was easy.

Deye76

My Anti-Gravity is 2 years old. When not riding it's on a Battery Tender brand tender, that is designed to switch to Lithium or AGM. The temp in my garage is 69°, the temp on the tender is 72°, as is the other 2 Battery Tenders I have on AGM batteries. Checked the temp on the Anti-Gravity (the out side of the battery), same as the temp in the garage, 69°. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

jmorton10

I am a huge Antigravity fan.

In 2015 I bought an ATX-20 for my 124" Roadking.  It is still working as well as it did back then.  It cranks over my HC 124 like the plugs are out. It starts before I can get my thumb off the button 99% of the time. It has started it when it was 40° in my garage. When it is parked in my garage, I plug it into an Optimate TM 291 lithium charger.

This year I bought an ATX 30 HD when they had a big sale. I figured it can't hurt to have a spare but I am in no great rush to install it as the old one is still working fine.  I have it hooked to a Optimate TM 471 charger waiting for when I need it.  I also have the bluetooth battery tracker to hook up at that time.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

jmorton10

If the 30 ever needs to be tickled to start, I always have a tiny jumpstart module that I figure I can tweak it through the tender pigtail.

~John 
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

hrdtail78

Quote from: Coyote on September 20, 2021, 12:08:22 PM
On some touring bikes (2010-2014 for sure) there is a tray that is mounted above the battery. The ECM, security antenna and purge valve mount to that tray. There are also two bolts holding the tray down. So depending on where this reset button is, you may not be able to get to it without removing all that stuff.

A 1/2 inch hole saw under the ECM in the right spot works great.  Just unclip the ECM while leaving it plugged in and bam. 
Semper Fi

No Cents

6 years on my Twin Power Lithium battery...and it still spins the old Duracell's 124 over with ease. I'm like John...I can't get my thumb off the starter button fast enough sometimes it seems.
   I do throw their battery maintainer on it a few times thru out the summer riding season just to see how fast it says it's fully charged. Usually within 2- 3 seconds it says it's full charge. In the winter I leave the maintainer plugged in to the battery and I only take it off if I'm lucky enough to find a good riding day in the winter. It's the best damn battery I've ever had in this bike...by far. I would usually get two seasons out of an AGM battery. 
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Rockout Rocker Products

Have the new replacement CTEK on the battery now for 1/2 hr.... 142f and only 2 dots lit. BT battery monitor shows 100% charge & 13.88v.  :idunno:

Seems there is no reason for any electronic device to get that hot but I guess it's normal. Only thing I can think of is it regulates voltage by sinking it to ground like a VR on a bike, rather than cycling on & off.

WAIT!!!!! Another dot!  :up:

kd

They take much longer to get to full charge than a conventional battery.  More when starting at a lower rate of charge. You may be surprised when you track the voltage during charging cycles.  It can be quite high. I have mapped it out with my Battery Tracker and viewed it as a continuous graph.
KD

kd

Quote from: jmorton10 on September 28, 2021, 09:20:36 AM
I am a huge Antigravity fan.

In 2015 I bought an ATX-20 for my 124" Roadking.  It is still working as well as it did back then.  It cranks over my HC 124 like the plugs are out. It starts before I can get my thumb off the button 99% of the time. It has started it when it was 40° in my garage. When it is parked in my garage, I plug it into an Optimate TM 291 lithium charger.

This year I bought an ATX 30 HD when they had a big sale. I figured it can't hurt to have a spare but I am in no great rush to install it as the old one is still working fine.  I have it hooked to a Optimate TM 471 charger waiting for when I need it.  I also have the bluetooth battery tracker to hook up at that time.

~John

Quote from: jmorton10 on September 28, 2021, 09:50:08 AM
If the 30 ever needs to be tickled to start, I always have a tiny jumpstart module that I figure I can tweak it through the tender pigtail.

~John 

John, you and I are singing out of the same Hymn book here.

That Battery Tracker has an adhesive pad for mounting and takes like 10 - 15 minutes to install (on the face of your rear fender behind the battery).  You'll find it very interesting and useful. You will able to see exactly what time you started the bike, the cranking voltage drop, used voltage, the charging rate, when you shut it off and the actual charge at any time you are within 30 ft from the bike.
KD

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: kd on September 28, 2021, 07:02:00 PM
They take much longer to get to full charge than a conventional battery.  More when starting at a lower rate of charge. You may be surprised when you track the voltage during charging cycles.  It can be quite high. I have mapped it out with my Battery Tracker and viewed it as a continuous graph.

It's now up to 5 dots, unit is completely cool. Battery is at 14.1v

Really odd thing is that at 142 degrees it was putting .07 amps into the battery.

Rockout Rocker Products

Finally got time to put the battery in... no drama. Well, some drama... disconnecting battery on a bike with the factory alarm system  :bf:

Few minutes with a loose hacksaw blade & I have Philips screw access to the reset button...

[attach=0]

Hell, I'd be willing to bet that in a pinch I could yank the front of the seat from under it's "mount" and get to the button.

Monitor attached to the second set of terminals, slipped down the back of the battery.

rigidthumper

:up:
Here's hoping you never have to press it!  :beer:
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Rockout Rocker Products

Should have mentioned the Philips screw is the seat screw.  :doh: