April 17, 2024, 07:31:30 PM

News:

Can’t excelerate

Started by ironsled, September 20, 2021, 02:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironsled

Just put in Dynatek s ignition. Static timed correctly. When I want to go for a ride I can't get out of first gear without it missing. Stuttering and sputtering. But it idles ok.  I am baffled. And I had run this ignition before perfectly

76shuvlinoff

I assume you've rechecked all your connections?

Got a dash mounted ignition switch? Might have a bad contact or broken wire that shows up when revving.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

HarleyCharley

Check all the obvious, connections, grounds, etc... especially check and make sure you used the correct timing mark on compression stroke.

charley

Ajayrk

Does it have the proper timing rotor?
AJ

ironsled

Yes static timed correctly. Over and over. I will not time it any more
It is something else. Just switched ignition dash switch. Same thing

kd

Is it timed to the correct lobe?  They are not 180* apart with the 45* twin.
KD

76shuvlinoff

I did have a dynatek 2000i finally go bad on me after 17 years. It would occasionally just cut out going down the road but that doesn't sound like your problem.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

JW113

Don't get cranky, but I do have to ask, since I had a very similar situation. Would start and idle fine, but would not rev or take any throttle.

Do you have an Evo also?

What timing mark for TDC did you use on the Shovel flywheel?

I ask this, because the marks on a Shovel and Evo are opposite. Not sure why HD did that dirty little trick, but it totally screwed me up and I timed the Shovel to the wrong mark because I thought I "knew" what the TDC mark looks like! So it ended up being advanced like crazy.

-JW

2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

ironsled

Would I idle and start so easy if it were a valve spring??
Timing mark is single dot for 81 FLH

ironsled

Could it be my s s shorty e. Maybe accelerator pump. But I smell gas as if it is feeding cylinders   Something is just holding me back. Like something is blocked

Hossamania

Quote from: ironsled on September 21, 2021, 03:30:21 PM
Could it be my s s shorty e. Maybe accelerator pump. But I smell gas as if it is feeding cylinders   Something is just holding me back. Like something is blocked

Long shot, check the exhaust for blockage?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

:scratch:   Didn't we just have a thread with these very same symptoms?  I seem to remember it was timed to the wrong lobe / cylinder and it idled fine but would not perform.  This could be a false memory but if it has spark and fuel .....  :nix:
KD

david lee

Quote from: kd on September 21, 2021, 08:19:02 PM
:scratch:   Didn't we just have a thread with these very same symptoms?  I seem to remember it was timed to the wrong lobe / cylinder and it idled fine but would not perform.  This could be a false memory but if it has spark and fuel .....  :nix:
i sort of remember that too

Ohio HD

Quote from: david lee on September 21, 2021, 09:37:39 PM
Quote from: kd on September 21, 2021, 08:19:02 PM
i sort of remember that too

Wrong member.....

ironsled

That's what it feels like. The exhaust is blocked but it ain't
I am leaning towards carb. But is only a guess.  It went over wires breakers that's it I am stuck

Burnout

CV carb with a punctured diaphragm?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hossamania

Is this a brand new ignition? It is possible that it is defective. Rare, but things happen.
Another thought, is the ground/negative wire on the battery good?

ironsled

Hey guys. I think I just narrowed it down
Ignition coil testing very bad. Primary side reads 3.5 ohms
Secondary side is weak 6,000 ohms. Buying another coil
Let's see

JW113

So you just installed a Dyna ignition, and now it runs bad. If it were me, I'd put it back to the same state that it last ran good, i.e. back out the change you made and see if it improves the situation.

-JW

Hossamania

Coils are cheap, swap it out.

cheech

Quote from: JW113 on September 22, 2021, 10:55:56 AM
So you just installed a Dyna ignition, and now it runs bad. If it were me, I'd put it back to the same state that it last ran good, i.e. back out the change you made and see if it improves the situation.

-JW
Agree.
Also the S uses your mechanical advance mechanism. Is it advancing correctly?

Ohio HD

Quote from: cheech on September 22, 2021, 11:59:48 AM
Quote from: JW113 on September 22, 2021, 10:55:56 AM

-JW
Agree.
Also the S uses your mechanical advance mechanism. Is it advancing correctly?

:up:

ironsled

Advance weights are good
Tested some old coils I had all are bad
Gonna buy a new one. This has to be it
Wish me luck

kd

Do you think after testing several coils and having them all come up bad there may be something wrong with your meter?  Do you have access to another for comparison.
KD

ironsled

That's true   I. Will pick up another just to be sure. It's weird because all the primary terminals tested good. The secondary terminals did not register any ohms. Diagnosing everything. Let's see

ironsled

Now I am onto circuit breaker acting up
Feels like voltage being cut off. The main breaker at battery is good
Going into the three under speedo

JW113

Pardon my ignorance, but...

What is a three under speedo, and what does that have to do with the ignition system?

:scratch:

-JW

Burnout

He's talking about the breakers.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on September 26, 2021, 07:52:34 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but...

What is a three under speedo, and what does that have to do with the ignition system?

:scratch:

-JW
me too this bike was running good before he touched it. im interested in the outcome

cheech

Quote from: david lee on September 27, 2021, 02:18:27 PM
me too this bike was running good before he touched it. im interested in the outcome
Well he didn't exactly say that. If so I missed it.  :scratch: Just said he's ran the Dyna ignition before.
Does that mean this bike or something else?
Nor did he ever say what prompted him to install the Dyna on this bike.

Tynker

Quote from: ironsled on September 20, 2021, 02:39:09 PM
Just put in Dynatek s ignition. Static timed correctly. When I want to go for a ride I can't get out of first gear without it missing. Stuttering and sputtering. But it idles ok.  I am baffled. And I had run this ignition before perfectly

Check the diaphragm at the accelerator pump. You say you smell gas, so that is likely where it is coming from. It will also stop your bike from accelerating.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere