April 19, 2024, 09:30:05 PM

News:

Front Brake Light Switch

Started by crock, September 22, 2021, 01:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crock

Looking for opinions. I've been replacing the front switch on my 73 flh for 20 years. Lately with more frequency(I'm guessing because the quality is decreasing ) to the point that it's about once a year now. Looking for options that isn't as  awful looking as a pressure switch at the caliper. Anybody have an idea?
Crock

bump

I put a pressure switch at the lower tree where the brake lines split to calipers.

Ohio HD

I would suggest at the lower tree as well.

Maybe it's less quality switches as time goes on, that's certainly very possible. Also the switch being at the wheel exposed to bumps from road conditions may be helping to slowly kill the switch. But that's just a possibility, and not for certain.

bump

I replaced the switch at the lever a few times but couldn't get brake light to work right. Lever would bounce around and make brake light flash when running down the road. Brake light would light when pulling lever but flash when on road.

kd

Quote from: bump on September 22, 2021, 07:03:13 AM
I replaced the switch at the lever a few times but couldn't get brake light to work right. Lever would bounce around and make brake light flash when running down the road. Brake light would light when pulling lever but flash when on road.

My suggestion would be to look at the components bump mentions like the pin and bushings or even the lever and check for wear.  I could see how worn components could cause the button to be forced sideways and the plunger being damaged and wearing out prematurely.
KD

david lee

mine hasnt worked for yrs. as long as the rear does it dosent bother me

HarleyCharley

One thing I have found with the front brake switch is a weak return spring will allow the lever to bounce thus arcing across the contacts causing early failure of the switch. Check wear and make sure there is adequate spring tension to prevent lever bounce. Your switches should last much longer.

charley

JW113

Need to keep things in perspective. The original stock switch was made by Grayhill in Illinois. By 60s/70s standards, they did last a long time. But the newest Shovelhead is 37 years old, the rest of them even older. So yes, that stock switch is going to wear out at some point.

Then we get to today's situation. Grayhill does not make that switch anymore. So about your only option is one of the Taiwan Inc made switches, which are total crap and do not last. Or, if you get lucky (like I did), find a NOS stock one from some HD dealer in Dirtwater Nevada. Or, from Ebay, but you're throwing the dice there if it is really NOS Harley-Davidson, or some NOS V-Twin that's been laying around for three decades.

Before I got lucky with a NOS HD switch, I bought one from Drag Specialties. It lasted perhaps two months?

Fast forward to today. The Shovelhead switches are tiny, and carry the full current through it to supply the stop light bulb. Today's switches are much bigger, and only carry a very small current which goes to the "light module" (or relay) as a sensor input, and the light module supplies the bulb with current. So the new stuff should basically "never" wear out. Can't compare it to the Shovelhead switch and light circuit.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Coyote

Why not just add a relay and take the current load off the switch?

Or switch to an led brake light.

HarleyCharley

I've been using Switchcraft 923 pushbutton for years. They last a long time. The link below will take you to that switch on Digikey. 

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/switchcraft-inc/923/265726

charley

JW113

Quote from: Coyote on September 23, 2021, 03:15:19 PM
Why not just add a relay and take the current load off the switch?

Or switch to an led brake light.

Coyote, funny you should say that. I was looking at my '04 brake light circuit, and saw it uses a relay, and though "now gee, why not just use one of those?". And yes, I already am using an LED brake light, not because it is less current draw, but because they don't break the filament from vibration like the stock incandescent ones do. But now that you mention it... yeah, that should help too.
:SM:

-JW

JW113

Quote from: HarleyCharley on September 23, 2021, 05:58:23 PM
I've been using Switchcraft 923 pushbutton for years. They last a long time. The link below will take you to that switch on Digikey. 

Interesting, those look like they might work well for the starter/horn/signal switches, since they are held in place by that little sheet metal bracket. The brake light switch is a bit different, it screws into that well in the control body and has that "tail" on it so you can spin it in with needle nose pliers. I guess if the OEM one I have ever fails, might just give that a try. Hopefully Switchcraft has not outsourced these to Taiwan too.

-JW

crock

I have an led brake light (for the same reason as Hoss ) buy the problem isn't load, it's mechanical failure. I've cut open the last couple and it looks like the tiny contacts are so light gauge that they straighten out and let the plunger pass and then its junk. The switch craft looks really good and is available from amazon so easy to purchase. I"m curious about the thread size. have you tried it Charley?
Crock

HarleyCharley

Quote from: JW113 on September 23, 2021, 10:32:52 PM

Interesting, those look like they might work well for the starter/horn/signal switches, since they are held in place by that little sheet metal bracket. The brake light switch is a bit different, it screws into that well in the control body and has that "tail" on it so you can spin it in with needle nose pliers. I guess if the OEM one I have ever fails, might just give that a try. Hopefully Switchcraft has not outsourced these to Taiwan too.

-JW

Are you sure you are looking at the 923? The reason I ask is the barrel of the 923 is threaded and will screw right in the brake bracket just like the oem switch.

charley

76shuvlinoff

A bouncing brake lever will likely trash that delicate switch in short order.  Maybe screw it in then back it out a turn or so?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

bump

The stock switch is normally closed. The lever holds the switch open so when lever is pulled it closes. Any wear in lever, pin or bushings will let lever bounce and make light flash.

crock

charley

Well I ordered this switch (from digikey.com Came super fast with reasonable shipping ). It looks like the threaded part is a little shorter but the plunger is a little longer. Thread size and pitch are correct and it looks like a much better quality switch. I'll install it first chance and see.
Crock

HarleyCharley

Quote from: crock on September 28, 2021, 04:44:15 AM

charley

Well I ordered this switch (from digikey.com Came super fast with reasonable shipping ). It looks like the threaded part is a little shorter but the plunger is a little longer. Thread size and pitch are correct and it looks like a much better quality switch. I'll install it first chance and see.

I hope these work out as well for you.

charley