April 19, 2024, 02:21:46 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rivera Pro, soak the plates?

Started by 76shuvlinoff, September 25, 2021, 04:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd

KD

76shuvlinoff

September 28, 2021, 04:43:38 PM #26 Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 05:02:14 PM by 76shuvlinoff
Quote from: JW113 on September 28, 2021, 03:34:31 PM
While you're waiting on that new clutch cable, maybe pick up the phone and ask Rivera WTF is up with the thick plate?

:nix:

-JW

Not a bad idea at all.

Still have not removed and measured up the cable.  :embarrassed: The cards have been stacked against me as far as working on bikes ....and yes I see the irony in that statement considering what I am doing right now.  :hyst:

When I google the part number I listed for that clutch kit it comes back as for the 36-84 Big Twin and is also known as PC-1-A. It lists 8 steel plates and 7 friction discs. That would put a plate at both ends. Putting a plate in first against the shell seems right to me as it would be a considerably more even surface than running the friction disc against the shell face. Couild be Rivera changed their way of thinking in the last 20 years?

The thick plate may indeed be just what Burnout says it is but I didn't have a thick one in there for the last 17 years so I am leaving it out... for now. I do need to recheck the spring bow.

edit to add: the link Ohio posted clearly shows putting the .120" thick disc in first. However, installing per "the book" I can't even get the nuts started without serious effort. My guess is my aftermarket clutch shell was not built to oem depth. 
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Burnout

It was an update, if you have an earlier clutch it would not have it.

There is an updated hub that holds more clutch discs - a 1.7" stack.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Burnout on September 28, 2021, 07:46:20 PM
It was an update, if you have an earlier clutch it would not have it.

There is an updated hub that holds more clutch discs - a 1.7" stack.

:up:  Assembled per the instructions my last friction disc was engaging the shell dogs by 1/2 a frog hair. It looks to me like in use it could come off the drive dogs but it made a solid stack so fortunately I didn't get that far.  Using a thin as a steel replacement it looks good. If I have issues I will do as Bill mentioned and remove the first steel.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

billbuilds

I just spoke with a gentleman at American Prime Manufacturing. The owner was apparently one of the principles at Rivera before Primo bought them out. I caught him on his way to work since their website shows their hours incorrectly at 8M-5:30PM PST  but they are actually 8:30AM-5PM PST. As Burnout mentoned there was/is an updated hub that is machined differently than the original so as to accomodate that .120 steel. He asked that I call him a bit later when he has arrived at work and he will email me pics of the different hubs and instructions on stack height adustment using the new clutch pak kit in the old style hub. I'll pass that info along. 
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

billbuilds

Well I'm sorry to report that after spending a few minutes on the phone with American Prime Manufacturing I am a bit confused myself. There have been a number of changes to the 36-84 Pro Clutch over the years and apparently you cannot use the 1048-0041 clutch pack with the older style hub. When I asked him if they had a replacement clutch pak for the Pro Clutch he said yes but he'd need to know which style hub you had. BTW, they call their clutch the Comp Master. Nobody home at RiveraPrimo just now. I'd be happy to help but I don't want to misconstrue things so I think best that you call if you'd like. American Primo's phone number is (562) 321-1989   
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

76shuvlinoff

Thanks for the ground work Bill. I guess I am going to have to dig in. Worst case is I put the old stuff back in as it was working.   My primary is all buttoned up so this weekend I am going to work on the wiring repairs I uncovered, then fire it up for a test run. 
 - Ernest Hemingway

76shuvlinoff

October 01, 2021, 01:34:58 PM #32 Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 01:46:04 PM by 76shuvlinoff
It's Friday, I took the last 1/2 of the day off and finished this up.

I rode it less than 5 miles but it sure is nice. The old assembly was getting grabby, on Youtube I heard they did that when they were getting worn.  This afternoon there was zero noise shifting out of neutral into 1st. The lever is smooth and predictable, I can find neutral over and over at a dead stop without a throttle blip. No slip under hard acceleration. Like I said, it was only 5 miles so things were probably not fully heated up. I will wipe the greasy finger prints off tomorrow and run it a little longer. Sunday is supposed to be rainy maybe I will get the clutch cable measured up and see what Barnett has to offer.

After 27 years the 76 still makes me grin  :teeth: .  I wish my 12 Ultra shifted as nice as this bike does.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hossamania

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on October 01, 2021, 01:34:58 PM

After 27 years the 76 still makes me grin  :teeth: .  I wish my 12 Ultra shifted as nice as this bike does.

My '01 with a Pro Clutch also shifts much nicer than my '12.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

72fl

Mark I have been out of the saddle for 6 years, I bought a 15 StreetGlide thinking I was going to be able to jump on a Bike and go, not the case still having issue's. I'm actually thinking  that I will try to sell it as I just hate having that Money tied up in something that I wanted but isn't doing what I thought I could do.

Now I got the Shovel and it is and will always be what makes me feel like I can enjoy a Bike that I have owned over 20 years and it has a Soul :SM: where these Newer Bikes well you jump on and go I just don't know :scratch:

Hossamania

72, have you considered a smaller bike to make riding a little easier? Royal Enfield makes some nice, accessible bikes for not a lot of money.
Maybe a different thread, don't want to hijack this one.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

Good luck Dave, Hoss has a point about the smaller bike extending your ride time. For me the shovel, stripped to bar hopper mode and slightly lowered, is my small bike. "Other" is my 12 Ultra. I keep that for trips and taking the wife for a putt. She loves the Ultra's throne but I know the day will come when decisions have to be made. Reality hit me when I stepped in a hole and dropped it a couple years ago, fortunately I was riding with friends.

Glad I pulled that clutch cable all the way out to get a look, it is a lot more broken than I thought it was. I installed a new stock length one I had on the shelf but that's just to get by, I need a 6" over cable.
 - Ernest Hemingway

72fl

I have thought about other Bike's, I will alway's remember being a 17 year old and riding my First Harley It made me feel sooooo good and I thought Wow this feeling is what the Harley riders feel, it in my opinion will never go away.

Now back to the thread, I will have to check out my cable also after sitting for so long, also I am having a transmission leak that I am sure is the main trans seal, I do have one of Ray Duquay's  transmission spacer with the O-Ring that I will be installing this Winter

billbuilds

Apparently the gentleman from American Prime Manufacturing was incorrect when he said that you couldn't use 1048-0041 clutch pak with the earlier Pro Clutch's. Glad to hear it's working properly for you. I was hoping to learn what the deal was with American Prime making the Comp Master and Rivera Prima making the Pro Clutch but the conversation did not get that far. 

Burnout

Apparently there are early and late Brute 3 clutch assemblys.

The later hub assy is deeper and takes more clutch plates (1.71 to 1.72 stack height).

The thick steel is loaded first onto the hub to re-enforce the back of the hub and provide a steel wear surface so the friction is not running against the aluminum back plate of the hub.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: billbuilds on October 04, 2021, 02:48:40 AM
     Apparently the gentleman from American Prime Manufacturing was incorrect when he said that you couldn't use 1048-0041 clutch pak with the earlier Pro Clutch's. Glad to hear it's working properly for you......

I hope so Bill. I really have not had a chance to put it through it's paces yet.  I put a stock length cable on the bike but I don't want to use it if I don't have to. It rubs the tank.

The only difference on my end is I swapped out the thick plate for a thin one.
 - Ernest Hemingway