SE upgrades going in, stick with 107 or build up?

Started by swingarm, September 28, 2021, 09:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swingarm

2017 Road glide. 64mm throttle body and manifold, S&S 475 cam, tappet cuffs. Bassani road rage 3 pipe. stock oil pump and plate. 30,000 miles.  Rear head gasket leak just developed.  I want to upgrade the to the SE oil pump & plate, tappets and SE head bolts if I'm going into it. I could re cam if needed? I want to stick with stock heads.

IF I wanted to go up in displacement with new cylinders what would be the most reliable option?  I would like more low end and mid range power.  Are there issues with the SE 4.155" big bore cylinders?  Or was that when boring out the stock cylinders from 107 to 117?  Any thoughts on going with the 119" pistons in the 4.155" cylinders? Does not seem to be very popular, or just go straight to 124" SE or S&S, Zippers or other brand. 

mike jesse

I would suggest a well rounded 124 street biased package which would include all of the top end assemblies.
Let one of our forum shops choose the cam and comp. ratio that fits your goals.

Many a build has been otherwise ruined with the wrong cam or comp. ratio picked.

A good place to start is right in the dyno section. Look for something similar to what YOU need and go from there.

HogMike

Are you doing the work yourself? Or having a shop do it?
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Don D

I stock sleeved ductile stock cylinders.  The 107 can go up to 126 and then with the appropriate cam it will make big torque and power only limited by heads and not so much of a factor if you are not looking for 150hp+

swingarm

Quote from: HogMike on September 28, 2021, 12:08:31 PM

Having a shop do the work and tune.

HogMike

Quote from: swingarm on September 28, 2021, 01:53:55 PM
Quote from: HogMike on September 28, 2021, 12:08:31 PM

Having a shop do the work and tune.

I would suggest talk to the guy who is doing your tune and the shop and tell them what kind of riding you do.
Make sure all parties involved are on the same page.
It may save you grief and $$$ in the future.
JMHO
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Deye76

"SE upgrades going in,"
So SE pistons and cylinders?  :scratch:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

swingarm

October 15, 2021, 11:35:22 AM #7 Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 12:21:12 PM by swingarm
Whats the compression with Zippers 107 to 117 flat top kits?

[url]https://www.zippersperformance.com/zippers-m8-cylinder-kit//url]

Cant find it listed anywhere?

[url]https://www.easternperformance.com/zipper-s-big-bore-cyl-kit-flat-pistons-107-to-117-harley-milwaukee-eight-17-up.html/url]

swingarm

Found it!

117 (flat top compression ratio is 11.2:1 with an unmodified 87.5cc head) and feature 1.5mm compression rings with 3mm oil rings for superior oil control.

swingarm

Here's where I'm at. 2017 Road glide 107 with 30K miles. Air cleaner, 64mm intake and Bassani 2x1 exhaust have been built up already. Developed a rear head gasket leak so I'm going into that anyway so its just time to fix everything else over the winter.  Figure I'm lucky to have made it 30K with no issues. S&S 475 cam was never right for this 107 and my riding style from the get go, so I'm changing that cam. Still undecided but leaning towards the new Moonshine 485 cam. I need to upgrade the stock oil pump to the new SE model as well as the SE head bolts. Also the piston jet oilers need to be toque checked.  I'm keeping stock heads and drive line. So I don't want to go all out on displacement / power.  I have looked at all the 117,119,120 kits out there i can find and am leaning towards the Zippers 117 flat top kit due to the more robust cylinders. Moderate compression and CP pistons. Biggest challenge I have is lack of local builders with dyno. So I have to travel, but that's OK.

joepenoso

Keep us in mind when you get results and share them
Thanks
joepenoso

RTMike

Talk to Wes at Cycle Rama,he has what your looking for

FLSTFIDave

Quote from: RTMike on October 17, 2021, 08:51:11 AM
Talk to Wes at Cycle Rama,he has what your looking for
Yep.  Wes set me up with a cam which was exactly what I was looking for.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

swingarm

Went over this build with Zippers via email this week. With my current parts and the 117 flat top kit from them. They recommend to go up to 7.1 injectors.  That's fine by me. I'm just surprised. Or interested I should say.

HogMike

Quote from: swingarm on October 20, 2021, 08:44:56 AM
Went over this build with Zippers via email this week. With my current parts and the 117 flat top kit from them. They recommend to go up to 7.1 injectors.  That's fine by me. I'm just surprised. Or interested I should say.

Seems like pretty big injectors for a 117 with stock heads!
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

ziggy24

Quote from: swingarm on October 20, 2021, 08:44:56 AM

You might end up with an engine that performs lousy at low rpm with those oversized injectors. FM is running 150HP plus motors with 5.5s or 6.2s and never running out of fuel.

150 hp v-twin looking for 150 hp to the wheels comes out at 6.0479 gm/sec@90% duty cycle.

More injector does not equate to more power if fuel is not needed.