March 28, 2024, 06:13:42 AM

News:

Help Cams stock 88 efi

Started by dog, September 28, 2021, 01:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dog

September 28, 2021, 01:53:15 PM Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 01:59:12 PM by dog
I have a stock 88 FLSTCI Heritage EFI. The stock cams are #25534-99 front and #25544-00 rear. Bike has high flow air cleaner and straight fishtail exhaust. It also has Harley down load. It runs well and has 60K on it. I need to replace the cams but can not find stock rear cam #25544-00. The shop suggest using 204 screaming eagle cams. They say I will NOT need to retune. What are your thoughts on this?

Buglet

S&S makes stock replacement cams.

If you have fishtails I'm guessing you like the sound. The 204s would sound really sweet, performance, most likely real soft down low. But it'll sound bitchin'. I'd retune too.

Hossamania

I don't see how it would not need a tune if changing to 204 cams. They are much different than stock.
Edit: 838 beat me to it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Big Cahuna

I have a set of stock cams from my '05 Road King. I changed them out when they had 65k miles on them. If your close enough you can pick them up for free. I'm in New Jersey let me know where your at. Probably cost alot to ship. I'd rather not ship them.,,

smoserx1

Andrews used to make a 12 series cam that was almost exactly like stock and they claimed did not require any re-tuning.  Anyway they made several series (N, TW, G and maybe others) but TW are the old chain type (like you have now) and N are the conversion cams.  Looks like there are some 12Ns still out (saw some on ebay) and a conversion cam setup will get you the same reliability as an 07 and later bike as it uses the new chains, plate, oil pump and hydraulic tensioners.  Also it looks like 25544-00 is still available, although that does not mean you can get your hands on one.  I put conversion cams in my bike (21Ns) years ago and love them.  It makes things super easy yo service if you have to go back in again for service.  No pressing bearings or cams into a plate makes it a breeze for most DIY types to do.

Scooterfish

If you`re eeping everything else the same , Andrews 21 or S & S 509. Retune
Northern Indiana

Hossamania

Quote from: Scooterfish on September 29, 2021, 06:45:58 AM
If you`re eeping everything else the same , Andrews 21 or S & S 509. Retune

:agree:
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.