March 28, 2024, 07:20:19 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Speedometer Problems 2000 Softail

Started by swampking, September 28, 2021, 02:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampking

September 28, 2021, 02:02:37 PM Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 02:13:13 PM by swampking
Help needed. My 2000 Softail has been giving me fits. It will seldom work and when it's not working the Engine light is on and turn signals won't cancel along with it not showing speed. On the highway at around 60mph the needle will finally move up to about 20mph. My first guess was the Vehicle Speed Sensor so I installed on from HD. That did no good. I traded Speedometer with my buddy same bike and year and it worked fine for about 1/4 mile and reverted to the same problem. Now I'm wondering if the Speed Sensor Harley sold me was defective. Does anyone have any ideas for me? by the way it is a Carb. Bike

calif phil

Take a good look at the connector from the speedometer sensor.  I had a similar issue and one of the three pins was not locked in place and was making an intermittent connection. 

xlfan

Have you tried to do a code read-out? Could be a short somewhere.

fleetmechanic

The wires from the sensor to the speedo are also possibly stretched or chafed where the harness goes by the frame neck.