March 28, 2024, 04:04:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Transfer valve

Started by xlfan, September 30, 2021, 06:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

Was the function of this one-way valve to pressure regulate gear/primary compartment into crankcase?

JW113

xlfan, I am no expert so sorry for this more opinion than fact, and based solely on "lore" that I've heard over the years. The early XLs ran a dry clutch, so oil level in the primary is critical. Should somebody overfill the primary, or the left side crankshaft seal fail and it starts burping oil into the primary, the clutch will get oil soaked. So I think that valve is there to allow the engine to suck oil back into the crankcase on the piston upstrokes. The early XL trans/pri vents through a little hole in the filler plug on the side of the pri cover, not through that oil transfer valve.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

Here is my spin on the transfer valve function.

I believe the transfer valves purpose is to save oil, when the motor sumps the transfer valve allows oil to migrate into the primary.
The transfer valve disappeared when the oil pump was upgraded to the non-sumpy one.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

xlfan