April 18, 2024, 12:10:44 AM

News:

Loctite 262 (red) or 242 (blue)

Started by Jim Bronson, September 30, 2021, 10:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

The SM specifies Loctite 262 for attaching sideplates at 20 ft/lbs torque. The spec sheet says that it is removable by applying 250 degrees of heat. My heat gun will easily do the job, but I'm wondering if I can just use #242 and make removal easier if the need arises. I plan to mount a King Tour Pack on the plates.
Thanks.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

koko3052

I would use what the spec says....you'd sure be pissed to have to turn around to pick it up out of the ditch!   :cry:

Jim Bronson

Quote from: koko3052 on September 30, 2021, 11:17:30 AM
I would use what the spec says....you'd sure be pissed to have to turn around to pick it up out of the ditch!   :cry:
I think you're right. It may take a little longer to remove, but it is better than the alternative.

Appowner

If you remove those plates a lot I'd be tempted to use Blue and just watch it for a thousand miles or so.  If any screws loosen up I'd then go back to red.

However if you pull a plate maybe once every year or two or more, stick with the red.

smoserx1

I have never had to use heat to get the red out.  20 pounds-feet of torque is not much, the rear cam and crank bolts on mine are 35 and 25 respectively and these come out easily for me w/o heat.  The big stuff like the comp nut, clutch hub nut and trans pulley nut all use red with very high torque values and still I have always been able to get them off without heat.  The only time I ever had a problem was using some (blue) on top of new bolts with dry lockpatch (even though the instructions said to use it).  Clean the dry off first or use as is, and if using liquid remember just a little is all you need.

04 SE Deuce

I'll use red on things, just put a smidge.

JW113

2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

crock

Quote from: JW113 on October 04, 2021, 11:59:29 AM
I've been using this instead of blue 242:

https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds/threadlockers/permatex-high-strength-removable-orange-threadlocker/?locale=en_us

-JW

How's that working out JW. When I pull up the site it says "Strength of the red with removability of the blue" sounds like an oxymoron?
Crock

JW113

Yes there is some marketing magic going on there, for sure. It works fine, and I've not had any hex or Philips head screws cam out when removing them. I don't think it is as "strong" as the red 262/272, but it does seem stronger than blue. Not that there is anything wrong with the blue, but if they have something they think is better, why not?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Jim Bronson

I wound up using blue over about half of the threads. I had run out of red, and I didn't want to buy a new bottle just for these bolts. My riding buddy told me that he doesn't use anything. He just torques them to spec. It will be easy to see if they start to loosen.

Hossamania

I used red on my comp bolt.
I used red on the tiny little screws that hold my saddlebag handle hardware.
One of those uses is going to cause me major grief down the road.
:banghead:
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.