softail twincam counterbalance chain assembly life

Started by actonern, October 03, 2021, 02:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

actonern

My 2006 Deluxe is rapidly approaching 100,000 miles (160,000 km) and I was talking with my local indie about whether a refresh is in order.

I asked about the general longevity of counterbalance chain/chain guide/balancer bearing/tensioner shoe assembly and he said he wasn't sure, as its rare for softails to come in with that kind of mileage.

To be clear, I'm not talking about the cam chest... the bottom end counter balance assembly.

Any experience out there on whether these assemblies can go forever or need attention?  I ride easy;  still getting slightly over 150 psi compression.

Thanks

rigidthumper

It's a metal chain sliding, under tension, with heat, over plastic. I've replaced them anywhere from 75K-up, some from failure, some preventative, and I think 100,000 miles is long enough to warrant replacing the tensioners and guides.  I'd also replace every bearing in that engine.  You don't want to ride to the point of failure, as that typically costs more.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

les

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 03, 2021, 04:28:39 AM
It's a metal chain sliding, under tension, with heat, over plastic. I've replaced them anywhere from 75K-up, some from failure, some preventative, and I think 100,000 miles is long enough to warrant replacing the tensioners and guides.  I'd also replace every bearing in that engine.  You don't want to ride to the point of failure, as that typically costs more.

Agree, and who ever does the work ask them to tell you the results of the pressure test of the oil interconnect seal after they bolt the casing back together.  If they can't do that, have someone else do the work. 

jamminhd2000

Jim's makes a tool that you can hook up a leakdown tester to and might not be a bad idea to check this anytime the cam support plate is out of bike. Jimmy

les

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on October 04, 2021, 11:04:18 AM
Jim's makes a tool that you can hook up a leakdown tester to and might not be a bad idea to check this anytime the cam support plate is out of bike. Jimmy

JIMS 780

actonern

Thanks everybody.  When you say I should replace every bearing in the engine, I take it that means a new flywheel assembly as well?

rigidthumper

New main bearing/rebuilt flywheels, or replace the assembly as a unit.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

les

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 15, 2021, 05:24:34 AM
New main bearing/rebuilt flywheels, or replace the assembly as a unit.

Agree.  With that many miles and how much work it is to get inside the bottom end of that softail, it's the wise decision to get either a totally rebuilt or brand new across the counter flywheel assembly.