Is the rear wheel in the middle of the swing arm?

Started by 1340evo, October 03, 2021, 07:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd

Quote from: Burnout on October 09, 2021, 12:41:35 PM
This isn't making sense,
Don't they all use the same frame?
If so how, can they move the wheel around, as this will affect belt alignment.

The diagram is not wheel alignment in the frame.  It's front wheel alignment to the rear wheel. They are not moving the front wheel around.  The FXSTC (Custom) and FXSTS (Springer) are the tall narrow front wheel and the FLSTC/F (fat Boy) is the 16" fatty.  When the front wheel is aligned (A=B, C=D) to the rear wheel the clearance on each side of the front wheel to the straight edges is to be as stated.  If they do not meet the required dimension (offset factor), it will likely indicate a twisted frame or swingarm bushing issue of sorts. This diagram really doesn't have anything to do with the position of the rear wheel in the swingarm or frame centerline.
KD

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: kd on October 09, 2021, 03:04:25 PM
Quote from: Burnout on October 09, 2021, 12:41:35 PM
This isn't making sense,
Don't they all use the same frame?
If so how, can they move the wheel around, as this will affect belt alignment.

The diagram is not wheel alignment in the frame.  It's front wheel alignment to the rear wheel. They are not moving the front wheel around.  The FXSTC (Custom) and FXSTS (Springer) are the tall narrow front wheel and the FLSTC/F (fat Boy) is the 16" fatty.  When the front wheel is aligned (A=B, C=D) to the rear wheel the clearance on each side of the front wheel to the straight edges is to be as stated.  If they do not meet the required dimension (offset factor), it will likely indicate a twisted frame or swingarm bushing issue of sorts. This diagram really doesn't have anything to do with the position of the rear wheel in the swingarm or frame centerline.

This is what I said a while back... the bike is heavier on one side than the other... thus shifting the wheel in relation to the weight.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

1340evo

All very strange. I've got mine right in the middle of the swing arm, 49.5mm each side and measuring to the rim is now .05mm one side to the other (did I tell you I had OCD  :wink: )... looking at the above post it's not that important, and I have a chain drive so may as well get it in the mid position.
I can't understand how having them off this far does not impact the handling?.. sure it must do....

1340evo

Not sure it matters that much, so long as when you are done to lines up wheel to wheel like the diagram.
Why one is to the left and one to the right is anybodys guess?... Mine is like the top one for sure ;)