March 28, 2024, 10:26:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Handles for lower vents

Started by Hossamania, October 03, 2021, 05:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

I have a '12 Ultra, is there some type of handle that can be attached to the vents in the lowers so that they can be easily opened or closed while riding?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

HogMike

Quote from: Hossamania on October 03, 2021, 05:58:56 PM
I have a '12 Ultra, is there some type of handle that can be attached to the vents in the lowers so that they can be easily opened or closed while riding?

Is it difficult to reach down and just grab the knob and twist?
I never have a problem with mine.
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

Quote from: HogMike on October 03, 2021, 07:43:19 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on October 03, 2021, 05:58:56 PM

Is it difficult to reach down and just grab the knob and twist?
I never have a problem with mine.
:nix:

Yes, tough to reach, I don't have gorilla arms, hard to get a good angle on it to twist if I do stretch to reach it. I don't even really try while moving.
I was thinking an auxiliary handle  clamped or bolted on that sticks up a bit would make it easier. If nothing available, I will look at fabricating something.

Sinker

I've always thought the vents on fairings should get more aftermarket attention. My Road GLIDE shoots bugs at rapid pace through the vents. Seems like someone should make a screen insert or something that can be easily removed and cleaned.

Hossamania

October 04, 2021, 06:57:16 PM #4 Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 07:01:53 PM by Hossamania
Quote from: Sinker on October 04, 2021, 06:50:41 PM
I've always thought the vents on fairings should get more aftermarket attention. My Road GLIDE shoots bugs at rapid pace through the vents. Seems like someone should make a screen insert or something that can be easily removed and cleaned.

Something like this?
link

But doesn't help me. Not looking for screens, looking for an easier way to open and close the panels in the lowers.

Hossamania

76shuvlinoff

I get it Hoss. The wife on the back gets pretty uneasy when I lean way forward to open or close them.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

kd

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on October 07, 2021, 02:25:41 PM
I get it Hoss. The wife on the back gets pretty uneasy when I lean way forward to open or close them.

76, just tell her you're giving her a quick look at what you see all the time.  :teeth:
KD

HogMike

Quote from: Hossamania on October 04, 2021, 06:57:16 PM
Quote from: Sinker on October 04, 2021, 06:50:41 PM

Something like this?
link

But doesn't help me. Not looking for screens, looking for an easier way to open and close the panels in the lowers.

I always thought about wiring in a small 12v stepper motor with shaft to the door, that way you could dial in whatever opening you want, but I got lazy and just bought a Rushmore bike with the newer doors.

It would be similar to the heater valve on a car that opens depending on the control.
Maybe a new business for someone with the knowledge and time to do it.
:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal