April 18, 2024, 10:33:47 PM

News:

Late model Softail Springer maintenance.

Started by mike jesse, October 03, 2021, 08:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike jesse

As the title states, what if any maintenance is required on the newer springer frontends.
I've never owned one, but am curious about them.
Also how is the ride quality compared to the standard fork frontend?
I think they look bitchin, but I may be all forked up. :smiled:

kd

There was a thread a few months ago on that subject. I can't remember who started it. A search should find it.
KD

mike jesse

Hybredhog

The manual is a good place to start for "bushing adjustment". But I've seen that the triple tree bearings do get more than normal wear/dents, so lift the front end & feel for notching on a regular basis.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

mkd

mike jessie, owned a fl springer for several years and done the front end adjustments periodically. the fl springers are heavy front ends to turn, not sure if it's the configuration or what but they like to fall away from center when you go slow. have taken two flsts front ends apart on two different yrs, one had 12000 miles and the other had 45000 miles. there was no great difference in wear between the two, the higher mileage had a slight bit more looseness in the spherical bearings. there is a website for the flsts bikes (97-2003 flsts) online HSOA. that has a wealth of knowledge on the bikes and their maintenance. i kept a bit of pretension on the stem bearings every year. Made sure the springs were adjusted within specs for my weight so the ride was not to rigid, greased the neck bearings and adjusted the fall away so there was no chance of the steering bearing chucking and causing a flat spot . I owned an eglide 05 and a 98 flsts at the same time and enjoyed both of them for what they were.

Yellowbird

I had a 2005 Springer, IIRC it was at 500 miles, 1,000 miles, 10,000 miles, 20,000 miles. And then repeat.

YB