April 18, 2024, 11:45:57 AM

News:

Dunlop American Elite

Started by FXD02, October 04, 2021, 09:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXD02

Put a set of these on a 2001 FLHT - stock size and HD rims. Previously had on several sets of Dunlop E3's. The difference between the two is substantial but not in a good way. The American Elites follow every line in the pavement. Wind makes the bike feel "squirrely" for lack of a better term. E3's were much more stable and tracked truer. Curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Hossamania

At first they do feel a bit squirrely, but as they scrub in and you get the feel of them, they get better. They also feel very susceptible to fresh tar strips. They do wear better, longer life out of them. I've run many sets now and find them working well for me.
Having said that, I'm very tempted to try the Avon's next time, they seem to be the benchmark of traction, but with the least amount of endurance.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hybredhog

October 04, 2021, 11:27:07 AM #2 Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 11:42:58 AM by Hybredhog
Quote from: Hossamania on October 04, 2021, 10:04:14 AM
At first they do feel a bit squirrely, but as they scrub in and you get the feel of them, they get better. They also feel very susceptible to fresh tar strips. They do wear better, longer life out of them. I've run many sets now and find them working well for me.
Having said that, I'm very tempted to try the Avon's next time, they seem to be the benchmark of traction, but with the least amount of endurance.

On my FXDXT, I use a AE on the rear and a Avon Chrome up front, and it handles great, even in 100+ sweepers. I always replace both at the same time, but I'm in the biz, and when the rear is gone, the front isn't all that far behind.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

motorhogman

I tried the MU series Elite on my 01 FLHT (rear) with a spacer.   I was hoping for more mi. Didn't happen. No better than a Michelin CII or D402. It also started to cup and get very noisy toward the end of life which was around 8,000 mi if I recall. I'm going to try the Mich CIII next time around.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

hbkeith

Quote from: FXD02 on October 04, 2021, 09:50:14 AM
Put a set of these on a 2001 FLHT - stock size and HD rims. Previously had on several sets of Dunlop E3's. The difference between the two is substantial but not in a good way. The American Elites follow every line in the pavement. Wind makes the bike feel "squirrely" for lack of a better term. E3's were much more stable and tracked truer. Curious if anyone else has experienced this.
Yes , same here , I ran the E3 and liked them , listened to the "Potty mouth" and tried AE , not as good , now cant find the E3

Deye76

I recently installed a set E4's on my FXR, surprised me, pretty good in the curves.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

MaxxV4

I saw some iffy reviews on the Michelin C-111's. Not sure what they changed but made sure to get the C-11's. Maybe look up the reviews on the dennis kirk site?

guido4198

Quote from: Hossamania on October 04, 2021, 10:04:14 AM
I'm running American Elite's on my FXRS. Currently at 11,500 mi. on the rear and 16,600 mi. on the front. For reference, neither is even close to needing replacement.
Hoss, based upon my limited experience with Avon's built for performance (not mileage)...you'll love'em if you don't have a problem replacing them in about half the miles you can get from just about any other quality tire.

98FXD

I have a 1998 FXD with Fatboy forks and a 16" wheel. E3's worked pretty good. American Elites not so well. Unstable at speed. E4's work very good for me. Rock solid at any speed. JMHO.