Replacing stock spring clutch with OEM diaphragm clutch in 1982 5 speed?

Started by Winston Wolf, October 04, 2021, 05:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winston Wolf

Anyone switch to a diaphragm clutch on their FLT? My spring clutch on my 82 sucks, and I would like to see if I can find parts to convert it.  Does the 84 and up FXR/FLT stuff interchange? I have parts from my 88 FXR, I would just need the outer basket if that all fit.

Burnout

You don't want that first 5 speed clutch design.
The hub splits and it rolls the key and fuxors the mainshaft.
The 4 posts that the pressure plate screws into break off.
The aftermarket hubs fix the breaking posts but cannot fix the keyway broach weakening the hub.
The only way to fix that is to change the clutch basket bearing to one with a larger ID and then make a hub.

The easy button is to update the whole gearbox to a 06 or older style gearset that has a splined input shaft.
If you get the later years shifting is improved, drum, pillow blocks, forks, and pawl, as well.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

xlfan

IIRC the 3-stud hub and the later 4-stud hub, don't share identical mainshaft taper.

Winston Wolf

They make a press-on ring that helps to prevent the crack by the keyway.  I'm not going to change to a splined input, so if I can't get a hub that fits on the existing tapered shaft, I won't do it.

Quote from: Burnout on October 04, 2021, 07:48:26 PM
You don't want that first 5 speed clutch design.
The hub splits and it rolls the key and fuxors the mainshaft.
The 4 posts that the pressure plate screws into break off.
The aftermarket hubs fix the breaking posts but cannot fix the keyway broach weakening the hub.
The only way to fix that is to change the clutch basket bearing to one with a larger ID and then make a hub.

The easy button is to update the whole gearbox to a 06 or older style gearset that has a splined input shaft.
If you get the later years shifting is improved, drum, pillow blocks, forks, and pawl, as well.

xlfan

There is available an upgrade kit for diaphragm release spring for the 36-84 3 and 5 finger clutch hubs, listed for a 4-speed, but that would fit an 82 5-speed as well.

It's a Sifton brand from Tedd, p/n 18-0540

Burnout

That reinforcement ring will not keep it from breaking, it "Might" last a little longer but don't hold your breath. Especially once the mainshaft has taken any damage.

crock

Crock

Burnout

I don't think it would be better, it will have a completely different feel though.
Better in what fashion? What are you trying to fix?
A well adjusted 5 spring will do burnouts and maybe wheelies.....
A diaphragm spring goes over-center and gets easy...... that's a plus
It adds weight to the hub, it appears heavier than a couple of pieces of sheet metal and a handful of springs.
Adding mass to the hub will make it harder for it to change speeds rapidly - enhances the clunk/crash.....  that's a minus.

crock

Quote from: Burnout on October 09, 2021, 03:00:10 PM
I don't think it would be better, it will have a completely different feel though.
Better in what fashion? What are you trying to fix?
A well adjusted 5 spring will do burnouts and maybe wheelies.....
A diaphragm spring goes over-center and gets easy...... that's a plus
It adds weight to the hub, it appears heavier than a couple of pieces of sheet metal and a handful of springs.
Adding mass to the hub will make it harder for it to change speeds rapidly - enhances the clunk/crash.....  that's a minus.

Sorry I meant 10 spring. and yes, I believe a Rivera pro or that type of diaphragm clutch could be a better product (If for no other reason simplicity ) but in my 93" I have a stock hub with Barnett Medium (The Red ones) springs, an aluminum pressure plate (I believe this part provides a more even,consistent pressure on the pack) and adjusted correctly, step by step as in the service manual and it preforms flawlessly consistently with a good lever feel. And I might add with out further adjustments until I have to change a cable or perform some other type of service in there.
Crock