April 27, 2024, 07:11:37 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

CyKo Tensioner pads

Started by JDhog211, December 08, 2016, 02:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDhog211

December 08, 2016, 02:22:33 PM Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:24:37 PM by JDhog211
OK, so I'm into replacing Original OEM Cam Cam Tensioners.  Due to the fact that I'm not doing an upgrade to the Hydraulic tensioners, due I go with the Cyko Tensioner shoes or just get another set of OEM's?     I have 37,00 miles on the OEM's now and the are worn 3/4ths down but not broken or any contact metal to metal with chain.   Do the Cyko Tensioner replacement pads wear better, cause I've never seen any pictures of them from anyone who has run them, and the mileage they got.
Thank you,

JDHog
Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.

prodrag1320

Go with the cyro's,much better than OEM

BUBBIE

:idea:  :speaker:

CYCO replacements are what it is..... They supply BOTH Shoe rebuild for the spring-load style...And the Shoe/Pad for the HD Hydraulic style too...

You use the HD parts and just replace the CYCO shoe/pad part on/in them...

Lot less Expensive... HD sells the Whole Unit at much higher Price and you DON'T need to buy the whole part from HD, just get the CYCO shoe replacements off ebay Cheap-Cheap-Cheap......

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

HD/Wrench

I have installed the Hyd version ( twin power re boxed Cyco is on the shoe itself)  and sure its cheap easy but to say one is better. No Fing way would I go out on that limb But maybe some one has done 20+ sets and all now have over 45,000 miles and they have in fact takes the cam cover off and checked them for wear . If so thats great , but until then I cannot tell you that its better than the OEM,.. Cheaper yes bet No way for me to make that statement .

I did find a trick to get the silly metal cylinder out of the shoe. Use a pair of inside transmission snap ring pliers and twist while you pull they pop right out.

prodrag1320

Ive seen them on a couple 25k + motors i put in and they look fine

koko3052

Karl H.

December 09, 2016, 02:49:34 AM #6 Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:51:53 AM by Karl H.
I assume that we speak about a TC88 engine? The best with Cycos is that they do not release tiny and hard particles into the oiling system. They are made out of high temperature Polyamide (as the OEMs 2007 up) instead of the brittle Phenolic resin (OEM 1999-2006).

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

prodrag1320

RoadKingKohn

I know this is old.  I have a set of new Cyco shoes to put into a 2015 Twin Cam.  How do you get the steel cup out of the old OEM to install it into the Cyco shoe?  Does the old steel cup fit into the new Cyco shoe?  It looks like the steel cup is to small for the Cyco shoe.

SP33DY

I use a split ball gage to grab the little cup and pull it out. The cup definitely fits the Cyco shoe.

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: SP33DY on January 29, 2023, 11:46:55 AMI use a split ball gage to grab the little cup and pull it out. The cup definitely fits the Cyco shoe.

There is another tool I need to get  :doh:

hattitude

Quote from: RoadKingKohn on January 29, 2023, 05:47:02 PM
Quote from: SP33DY on January 29, 2023, 11:46:55 AMI use a split ball gage to grab the little cup and pull it out. The cup definitely fits the Cyco shoe.

Twin Power uses Cyco tensioner pads for both their '99-'06 spring tensioner pads and the '07+ hydraulic tensioner pads.

In this video, Jim Simonelli (Twin Power Brand Manager)  shows how to replace the pads on hydraulic tensioners (time 5:25)... He recommends using a blind bearing puller in 8mm or 5/16 size to remove the pistons from the old tensioner pads.......

At 6:45 in the video, he shows how to remove the piston with just a sharp scribe...

Hope this helps..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih_WUW4O0wI&t=4s

ziggy24

Heat up a nail with a propane torch, burn hole down through the top of the old shoe and push the sleeve out . Easy.

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: ziggy24 on January 31, 2023, 03:23:29 AM

Heat up a nail with a propane torch, burn hole down through the top of the old shoe and push the sleeve out . Easy.
Darn, I should have thought of that.

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: hattitude on January 29, 2023, 07:25:13 PM
Quote from: RoadKingKohn on January 29, 2023, 05:47:02 PM

Twin Power uses Cyco tensioner pads for both their '99-'06 spring tensioner pads and the '07+ hydraulic tensioner pads.

In this video, Jim Simonelli (Twin Power Brand Manager)  shows how to replace the pads on hydraulic tensioners (time 5:25)... He recommends using a blind bearing puller in 8mm or 5/16 size to remove the pistons from the old tensioner pads.......

At 6:45 in the video, he shows how to remove the piston with just a sharp scribe...

Hope this helps..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih_WUW4O0wI&t=4s
Excellent video. I was worried about messing up the sleeve in trying to get it out.  Thinking about it now I should have looked just a little longer at it.