April 24, 2024, 03:39:00 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch question for 124

Started by Raleigh111, October 06, 2021, 07:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raleigh111

I installed all the rekluse discs and plates 5 different times and the clutch lever will only pull in half way and stop. The rekluse pressure ring bottoms out. If I install the stock Harley one it works fine. The clutch stack height is around 1.920. Has anyone else had this problem??
Harleys are addicting and im out of money. Accepting donations! 120 132hp 146tq

Ohio HD

January 21, 2023, 10:02:06 PM #26 Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 03:34:18 PM by Ohio HD
Quote from: RTMike on October 06, 2021, 09:12:46 AMThis is how the bearings and spacer are stacked up inside the gear. The gear has been back cut, cryo treated and micro polished. The tool to the left is used to set the bearings to the correct depth.

@turboprop Did you only cryo treat the fifth gear main? And do you know if it was a wet cryo treatment or a vapor process cryo tank that was used?

I'm pulling the trigger on my complete Baker transmission next week. Magnaflux, cryo treatment, thermal stabilization, shot peen, micro polish.

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 21, 2023, 10:02:06 PM
Quote from: RTMike on October 06, 2021, 09:12:46 AMThis is how the bearings and spacer are stacked up inside the gear. The gear has been back cut, cryo treated and micro polished. The tool to the left is used to set the bearings to the correct depth.

@turboprop Did you only cryo treat the fifth gear main? And do you know if it was a wet cryo treatment or a vapor process cryo tank that was used?

I'm pulling the trigger on my compete Baker transmission next week. Magnaflux, cryo treatment, thermal stabilization, shot peen, micro polish.

I certainly didnt expect to see this picture this morning. Funny.

As I recall, I built this transmission for my friend Larry. The gear set was from Andrews and was sent to Zippers to be back cut and then to Shortblock Charley to be shot peened and micro polished. All of the gears and shafts were given a cryo treatment.

IMO, the cost of the cry treatment was not worth the gain. I have built a bunch of variations of this transmission. Some with and some without various options. The cryo just didnt seem to make much of difference.

I don't think I discussed the ceramic bearings that were used in this transmission. Ceramics from World Wide bearings were used throughout and made a significant improvement. But there is better. MicroBlue treatment for the gears, shafts, bearings, forks and drum. I have built two transmission with this same combo that also had everything MicroBlued. There is a video on their website showing the improvement (before after) on a automotive transmission. IME, the MB process not inly reduces rotational losses, but also really improved the speed and accuracy of gear changes. This is an expensive process. Former 124 Challenge racer Mike Roberts rated the bar when he leveraged MB agains almost every bearing and rotational part in his 124 Challenge bike (later used in street pro class). He pioneered this being used on the primary drive sprockets, chain (primary  and final), final drive sprockets, every piece of the valve train, cylinders/pistons/rings. I witnessed the difference MB had on ring seal and piston drag. A lot of winning race teams are using. Good stuff. Expensive.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on January 22, 2023, 07:02:07 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on January 21, 2023, 10:02:06 PM

I'm pulling the trigger on my compete Baker transmission next week. Magnaflux, cryo treatment, thermal stabilization, shot peen, micro polish.

I certainly didnt expect to see this picture this morning. Funny.

As I recall, I built this transmission for my friend Larry. The gear set was from Andrews and was sent to Zippers to be back cut and then to Shortblock Charley to be shot peened and micro polished. All of the gears and shafts were given a cryo treatment.

IMO, the cost of the cry treatment was not worth the gain. I have built a bunch of variations of this transmission. Some with and some without various options. The cryo just didnt seem to make much of difference.

I don't think I discussed the ceramic bearings that were used in this transmission. Ceramics from World Wide bearings were used throughout and made a significant improvement. But there is better. MicroBlue treatment for the gears, shafts, bearings, forks and drum. I have built two transmission with this same combo that also had everything MicroBlued. There is a video on their website showing the improvement (before after) on a automotive transmission. IME, the MB process not inly reduces rotational losses, but also really improved the speed and accuracy of gear changes. This is an expensive process. Former 124 Challenge racer Mike Roberts rated the bar when he leveraged MB agains almost every bearing and rotational part in his 124 Challenge bike (later used in street pro class). He pioneered this being used on the primary drive sprockets, chain (primary  and final), final drive sprockets, every piece of the valve train, cylinders/pistons/rings. I witnessed the difference MB had on ring seal and piston drag. A lot of winning race teams are using. Good stuff. Expensive.

I'm getting ready to send a six speed out for cryogenic treatment. The reason I'm doing it is to add strength to the components, particularly to the gears, but all parts (less bearings, retainer clips, etc.) will be treated. The two main claims is the strength increase, which they told me dependent on the alloys the individual parts are made from, around a 20% increase in material strength. They also claim less wear on the parts. I'm sending the transmission to Liberty's Gears.

The process they spec out is: Magnaflux, Cryogenic Processing, Thermal Stabilization, Shot Peen, Surface Enhancement (micro polish).

HighLiner

What did they quote you for all that?

turboprop

Something else. Shifter slop. The splines on shifter pawls (all of them) are slightly larger that its shaft. This requires the bushing in the trans case to have a loose fit on the shaft in order for the shaft to fit through the bushing. The clearances in mass production makes this situation worse. Try wiggling the pawl in its bushing. The excessive play will be obvious.

There is a fix. The OD of the planned portion of the pawl must be reduced and a custom bushing made that is honed to an ID that provides a close fit between it and the shifter pawl shaft. This will significantly reduce the amount of play at the shift pedal. 

Ohio HD

Quote from: HighLiner on January 22, 2023, 04:41:00 PMWhat did they quote you for all that?

I'd call them and ask for Terry. He handles all of the HD stuff.

JSD

Thanks for sharing Turboprop. Also i see your not Scott. LOL !

turboprop

Quote from: JSD on January 22, 2023, 08:57:34 PMThanks for sharing Turboprop. Also i see your not Scott. LOL !

Hahahaha.

Scott got a pretty good laugh at that thread. Hopefully that fool (Not Scott) doesn't find his way over to this forum.

turboprop

Quote from: jmorton10 on October 21, 2021, 08:46:15 PMHey Ed,

Isn't the best setup always the one you just  bought for a ton of $ ?? lol

~John

Sometimes, but a more sure bet on what 'The Best' is always whatever the arm chair quarterbacks on forums regurgitate from stuff they have read on forums. The proverbial self licking ice cream cone.

HighLiner

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 22, 2023, 06:08:14 PM
Quote from: HighLiner on January 22, 2023, 04:41:00 PMWhat did they quote you for all that?

I'd call them and ask for Terry. He handles all of the HD stuff.

I don't like to waste peoples time so I was just trying to get a ballpark idea.  I'm not sure I need another grudgebox for my other bike seeing how it was be a lightweight!