April 16, 2024, 12:34:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

I hate when that happens!

Started by Hybredhog, October 06, 2021, 02:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hybredhog

Finally getting time to start up the winter rebuild season. This might've made a little noise in a '99 FLHT side car rig, only 50K, but hard miles.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

kd

I would say he was either wound right out, slow to shut it off or deaf.  :crook:
KD

FSG

what brand of PRs are/were in it ?

Hybredhog

Deye76

Quote from: Hybredhog on October 06, 2021, 02:51:19 PM
  it was all factory 95ci kit.
Yup, can tell those HD gaskets from a block away.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

FSG

Quote from: Hybredhog on October 06, 2021, 02:51:19 PM
  it was all factory 95ci kit.

OK  ....   the ends just look a little odd

Admiral Akbar

A least it looks like the motor didn't lock up.  This one did.

Appowner

Aw!  Come on!  A little duct tape, maybe some JB Weld and a drop or two of super glue and it will be good as new!  :)

Hossamania

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on October 07, 2021, 06:27:44 AM

That's what I expect mine to look like when it finally blows to kingdom come.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Fugawee

That picture of the blown engine brings back memories.  Realizing that this is the Twin Cam Section, I have a 94' FLHTC that looked real close to that, when I blew it up on I-95 in North Carolina in October 2001; going home from Florida.  A real fun-fest that day.  A laugh a minute.  Sucked.

HogMike

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on October 07, 2021, 06:27:44 AM

It would not have happened if you had a straight rod!
LOL
HOGMIKE
SoCal

One4Tone

...oil pump failure?...among other thigs!...hopefully not far from home...maintain

Admiral Akbar

Back to Jeff,

You can tell that bike was run pretty hard. The PC is burned off the exhaust side fins.   

Hybredhog

Yeah, he runs it pretty hard for something that heavy (even sometimes with a trailler!), and he's the fearless leader of a "group", so he has to be out front. As for PC burning off, It doesn't suprise me, most do eventually, i.e. plug area too. An old dealer rep came into the shop one day when I was painting some heads with VH1/ PJ1 heat paint. He said "the factory can't make it stick, what makes you think you can".
    After I get it all cleaned up, we're aiming to make it a 103 flat tops with some '06 heads, that should let some heat out. It was converted to carb a few years back from MM. I haven't decide on cams yet, but leaning towards S&S 557. I would even like to see a gearing drop to a 31 or 30 tooth pulley.

HogMike

Quote from: Hybredhog on October 08, 2021, 09:38:50 AM
  Yeah, he runs it pretty hard for something that heavy (even sometimes with a trailler!), and he's the fearless leader of a "group", so he has to be out front. As for PC burning off, It doesn't suprise me, most do eventually, i.e. plug area too. An old dealer rep came into the shop one day when I was painting some heads with VH1/ PJ1 heat paint. He said "the factory can't make it stick, what makes you think you can".
    After I get it all cleaned up, we're aiming to make it a 103 flat tops with some '06 heads, that should let some heat out. It was converted to carb a few years back from MM. I haven't decide on cams yet, but leaning towards S&S 557. I would even like to see a gearing drop to a 31 or 30 tooth pulley.

I ran a 103 years ago 2-up with a heavy trailer. Had mild head work, Andrews 54 cam, one tooth less on the pulley, worked great for our travels.
JMHO
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

Hybredhog

Quote from: sfmichael on October 09, 2021, 12:35:10 PM
doing the bottom end too?

Yes, probably some new S&S 4-3/8" FW. The valve tulip beat down on top of the rear rod pretty good without breaking through. Amazingly very little debre got to the pump, and is in the sump, But a new pump & pan cleaning is in order.

BUT THE PLOT THICKENS!  I was thinking that a lot of debre went into the pipe without a valve there, So I looked. In all of somebodies genius They welded a inner plate blocking the port to the right side, diverting crudely to the left side, No wonder the heat was building up, taking out the valve tulip. We'll be having a talk about sloppy true duels.