April 18, 2024, 11:08:14 PM

News:

Replace 8967 with 8967A

Started by jamminhd2000, October 06, 2021, 07:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamminhd2000

Working on a 2017 Fltru. Mainshaft trap door bearing went bad. Metal throughout trans. Replacing main drive gear bearing and it has the old 8967 double row. Putting in new 8967a bearing. My question is do you just remove the inner race off the main drive gear and what is the easiest way to remove? Thanks all....jimmy

rigidthumper

I used a snap on clam shell, supported by standoffs,  and a hydraulic press against the nut installed just shy of flush with the threads. Keeps the pressure on the nut, but still transfers the pressure to the bearing piece.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Coyote

That's how I remove mine. Just a generic claim shell clamp and my Dakk press.

jamminhd2000

So once removed it just presses in to correct depth for the newer 8967a bearing?...thanks for your quick responses....jimmy

jamminhd2000

Sketchy but worked pretty dang smooth and easy....thanks for your help rigid and coyote!....jimmy

Coyote

When I pulled that bearing the first time, the pop about scared the crap out of me.  :embarrassed:     :teeth:

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Coyote on October 06, 2021, 08:00:57 PM

A assume Dakk is really Dake.

I thought you had a Baileigh.

jamminhd2000

So this morning I had to make do with what I had...this afternoon my stimulus present showed that I had ordered last April...it was a good day...jimmy

Coyote

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on October 07, 2021, 06:59:11 PM
Quote from: Coyote on October 06, 2021, 08:00:57 PM

A assume Dakk is really Dake.

I thought you had a Baileigh.

Lol. Too late in the day when I posted.  Yes, Dake. Spell check keeps changing what I type. It did it again just now.. Thanks for your technical contribution.  :wink:

[attach=0,msg1396566]