March 28, 2024, 04:18:22 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Full system lights fluctuating

Started by JLockhart29, October 08, 2021, 02:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLockhart29

The last few mornings when I leave work (graveyards) I have been noticing my headlight dimming about 25% for a few seconds and then return to normal for the first couple of minutes. On closer inspection markers and console are as well and at the same rate. Engine rpm doesn't effect brightness. I ride an 04 FXST carb with a "Hippo" build. Ran a continuity, ground and output on stater. All three pins and checked fine. Battery checked as well and all grounds are clean. About all that's left I know of is volt regulator. Just wondering if there is anything else to check before I spend the cash and just missed something stupid. Thanks

Hossamania

Check the ground for the regulator, check the battery connections again, inspect the battery cables, they can corrode under the sheath. Check your ground at the handlebar riser.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JLockhart29

Just curious why the handlebar risers? But will do.

Hossamania

Quote from: JLockhart29 on October 08, 2021, 04:03:54 PM

It's just one of those forgotten grounds that can cause mystery issues.

FSG

Quote from: Hossamania on October 08, 2021, 05:41:25 PM
Quote from: JLockhart29 on October 08, 2021, 04:03:54 PM

It's just one of those forgotten grounds that can cause mystery issues.

and quite often it's missing as someone has changed bars, risers,etc, etc and didn't see a need for it

JLockhart29

Back in action. Finally got new voltage regulator in a few days ago. Went to install it and the 30 amp main breaker was cracked and the post pulled out. Started calling around and just happened to get one of the wrenches at Shreveport HD when I call the parts dept. Looked up their supply and was out. I told him it was my primary ride and said my local Autozone would probably have one. Be on the road today. Sure enough they had one. Just had to remove the little mounting bracket and fit perfect and works like a charm. Something to know if out on the road sometime.

Hossamania

Good find. That relay has been discussed as a common problem many times here. Most replace it with a 50 amp. Glad you're back up and running.

Coyote

Hossamania