April 20, 2024, 06:06:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S inner primary race won't go on far enough :(

Started by 1340evo, October 10, 2021, 09:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Having taken the advice of you guys on here, I bought the S&S inner race having upgraded the All Balls bearing.
Came to fit it today and it's a good 4-5mm short of where the last one was... end result is it won't reach the outer lip of the seal :(
Any thoughts on this. It's on as far as it will go for sure...
I did change the gearbox input shaft a couple of years ago to splined and bought I think an Andrews shaft.. maybe this has the taper coing in earlier than the standard one?.. wonder how hard it is, I could turn a bit from the last undersize ring if it will cut, but think it will be hardened.

:crook:

You cannot see attachments on this board.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

JW113

Can't explain what is going on, but man. The finish on that inner race looks like CRAP!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

turboprop

Quote from: 1340evo on October 10, 2021, 09:33:59 AM
Having taken the advice of you guys on here, I bought the S&S inner race having upgraded the All Balls bearing.
Came to fit it today and it's a good 4-5mm short of where the last one was... end result is it won't reach the outer lip of the seal :(
Any thoughts on this. It's on as far as it will go for sure...
I did change the gearbox input shaft a couple of years ago to splined and bought I think an Andrews shaft.. maybe this has the taper coing in earlier than the standard one?.. wonder how hard it is, I could turn a bit from the last undersize ring if it will cut, but think it will be hardened.

:crook:

Where the last one was is irrelevant. That race came with instructions that call out a specific torque specification when installing the race. Did you follow the included instructions?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Coyote

Not suppose to go all the way to the seal, is it?

1340evo

I know its not going all the way to the seal, but should be closer. Think my last one was about 3-4 mm

The inner race is cover in grease, thats why it looks that way. Its real nice ground finish.

And yes, torqued it down till it stoped. you have 3 internal rings and a stop ring inside.. you can feel it going ring 1, 2, 3, then stop. so its going as far as it can.

May be its the James shaft adding a bit of extra shoulder on for strength?

turboprop

turboprop

Quote from: 1340evo on October 10, 2021, 11:35:23 AM
I know its not going all the way to the seal, but should be closer. Think my last one was about 3-4 mm

The inner race is cover in grease, thats why it looks that way. Its real nice ground finish.

And yes, torqued it down till it stoped. you have 3 internal rings and a stop ring inside.. you can feel it going ring 1, 2, 3, then stop. so its going as far as it can.

No. It is not the Jims shaft.

Aside from not looking like the one you removed (which may have walked in), how do you know the S&S race is not on the shaft far enough to go through the seal on the inner primary?

kd

Quote from: turboprop on October 10, 2021, 12:47:17 PM
Quote from: 1340evo on October 10, 2021, 11:35:23 AM

No. It is not the Jims shaft.

Aside from not looking like the one you removed (which may have walked in), how do you know the S&S race is not on the shaft far enough to go through the seal on the inner primary?

Was just about to type that.  If it was not an S&S race there is no way of knowing if it was actually installed to the right depth or as Turboprop said walked in as they typically or often do.
KD

Coyote

Have you slid the inner primary on and see if the bearing sits on the race? It's been awhile since I've done one but IIRC, the bearing isn't near as wide as the race is.

Ohio HD

Before I yank the old race off, I always remove the seal from the inner primary, then put the inner back on with two bolts so I can measure where the race edge is in relation to the bearing rollers.

That does two things, tells you were it's been riding, and if that's good serves as guide when putting the new race on so you know where it'll be riding.

nmainehunter

If the bearing sits on the race and the case can be assembled without having to muscle it you are good.

jsachs1

If it's at the proper depth, and you try to move it, it will crack. Mid USA makes a non-slip race as well.  :up:
John

1340evo

When I put the inner primery on, you can get a small camera up the back and you can see the outer seal is not on the S&S inner race.

The old one had not walked in, it was the exact same place I set it as I have a tool that goes down the back to pull them off. I set it to this when they go on.

The primary bearing is between 2 clips so you can't change that, and the seal is pushed into the clip, so you can't change that.

I may just use the All Balls one with some bearing lock. Or investigate the other option suggested above.. but how does that work? Same way as the S&S?

capn

1340evo

I did, and it expands the end by 0.05mm oversize, to the point where the roller bearing will not fit over it?

I could always remove the shaft and turn / grind a bit off the taper ??

FSG

pull it off and measure it inside and out

also measure the mainshaft splines and taper and post a pic of it

Buglet

All the S&S races end up having a bigger gap then the stock Harley ones, have no problems. I primany seal looks like it is install backwards. 

1340evo

Quote from: Buglet on October 11, 2021, 05:33:43 AM
    All the S&S races end up having a bigger gap then the stock Harley ones, have no problems. I primany seal looks like it is install backwards.

Putting the seal the other way may do it for sure.. are you saying the open side of the seal should go to the outside?

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

1340evo

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 11, 2021, 12:37:06 PM
Yes

Thay would put the spring on the outside also... I thought the spring always went to the oil side?. whats stopping a bit of something geting caught in the sprocket from pulling it off?

Coyote

1340evo

Thats the way it's in....

BTW, the input shaft is a Andrews AP296900.. I've mailed both S&S and Andrews.. see what they say??

thumper 823

AFAIK Andrews makes most of the trans parts for most of the vendors.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Burnout

Off topic -
You have an old style sprocket on there.
I highly recommend using a new style PBI sprocket and the trans seal with the larger ID and the matching sprocket spacer.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

1340evo

Looking at the Andrews shaft there is a slight step where I guess the 5th gear seal runs. Wonder if they made it a bit longer it would cure the issue itself in that the inner bearing could not move into the output shaft.
I'll take a picture tonight of both shafts side by side datum from the shoulder that sits on the trap door bearing. Then we'll see if they differ in any way?