Newer bikes with infotainment system

Started by blown alcohol, October 11, 2021, 04:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blown alcohol

I know nothing about the harley infotainment system.
When did it first come out? Are the earlier models infotainment systems out of date?
How is the GPS compared to a garimin xt?

I ask this because I have a 2013 cvo ultra. My factory Garmin 660 is outdated compared to the garmin xt. I just swapped out the gps for a new updated easier to read screen on the garmin XT.

I do not want to buy a used, but newer bike and have something that I am not able to update, or not supported.
Has the boom system had big changes over the years? Are certain years better than others?
2013 CVO Ultra

moose

I have a 2020 with the gts and I still use my Garmin 595 on the bike I find it more up to date than the Harley map and I'm not going to pay 149 bucks to update the harley map
Moose aka Glenn-

FSG

ultrafxr

Quote from: moose on October 12, 2021, 04:55:35 AM
I have a 2020 with the gts and I still use my Garmin 595 on the bike I find it more up to date than the Harley map and I'm not going to pay 149 bucks to update the harley map
I have this exact same setup and find the Garmin superior in most respects - except for the screen resolution.  For whatever unimaginable reason Garmin screwed the pooch on the 590/595 devices as far as readability especially in bright sunlight is concerned.  Friend just bought an XT for his new 2021 Road Glide and it is a really sweet unit.

The original GT infotainment unit came out with the Rushmore introduction in 2014 and is a great improvement over the older HK imo.  But the newer GTS which came out in 2019 is way better than the GT as far as speed of loading the nav function and having Car Play, etc.

The GTS GPS is OK if you put enough waypoints in to keep it on the route you desire.  The Garmin is not as finicky in that regard I've found.  As as stated the Garmins come with lifetime map updates and the maps on the H-D are already outdated when you buy a new bike and even the costly 'updates' are not as up to date as Garmin.

FLSTFIDave

The GTS that come out in the 2019 modes is better than previous version.  It does its job, and much easier to see.  You can with Harley ride planner map out your routes.  Need to use lots of way points and it works well.  I use it when on vacation to set up all my day rides.

I also like that I can use CarPlay.  it will use AdroidAuto if thats your type phone.

2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

blown alcohol

Thanks

I may just get another older bike now. I really like the new garmin xt. I would like the newer M8 though.
2013 CVO Ultra

calif phil

Now you can retrofit the GTS radio back to 2014.  :up: Not cheap though.