March 29, 2024, 05:56:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bad ACR

Started by vaughtcity, October 13, 2021, 08:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vaughtcity

I have a 2011 Road Glide 103. Both acr's test good engine cold but when I test them when the engine is hot the rear acr seems to stick or not open all the way. The rear hot would test 195PSI with relay unplugged and 182PSI with relay installed. Im getting kick back on startup once bike is warm that's what made me start testing. Battery test good. Has anyone had this problem?

rigidthumper

The ACRs have a common power & ground, so there will always be a difference between front & rear CCP, as the cylinders are in different phases when the ACRs are activated.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

vaughtcity

Thanks for the information rigidthumper. Do you think 13psi difference is normal from acr activated vs turned off? I would think it would be more like 50PSI. By the way this the rear cylinder only not the difference between front and rear

Buglet

October 13, 2021, 09:48:44 AM #3 Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:53:42 AM by Buglet
   My next step would be pull the exhaust off and check the relieve passages for the ARC in the exhaust port. I have see enough of them plug up with carbon. I use a long drill to clean the carbon out. You also can use a leak down tester to see if you getting the right flow with the ARC's before you pull the exhaust off. 

rigidthumper

Not certain 13# is enough.  I like the idea of cleaning the ACR evacuation port.  What are the mods & tuning device?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

vaughtcity

power vision ACR is activated. Andrews 57H cams. I don't have a leak down tester.

Buglet

Then your best bet is to pull the exhaust and take a look at the port.

jsachs1

I get an abundance of heads in here for work. Majority have ACR. The relief ports on 90 % of them are plugged solid. The clearing of those passages should be done every other time the bike is serviced. You'll need to use a steel rod. Final diameter = .150".
John

Don D

John is right on, I find many plugged.

vaughtcity

I get the cleaning thing but why would it test good when the engine is cold like 50PSI deference and when hot only 13PSI. just seems like the solenoid is not working when it gets hot. Don't know if that's possible you would think an electric component would either be good or bad but it is a coil

Ohio HD

Not knowing how hot is hot. An ACR that's working marginally, or as John stated about blocked passage, a cold motor may spin over fine, a heat soaked motor would require the ACR system to work at 100%.

vaughtcity

John thanks for the size on the opening. I will update once I figure it out.

Don D

The ecu varies the duration to maintain  a certain target cranking rpm. The cold motor has more friction

Buglet

VC  If they need cleaning get a extra long drill and you can turn it by hand and it will pull the carbon out towards the exhaust port instead of a rod and and sending it towards the ACR.