March 29, 2024, 03:31:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

H4 light bulb 03 Road King

Started by starrider, October 13, 2021, 04:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starrider

Hi Guys... i was out last night riding the RK on city streets and suddenly it got dark.
After a few moments of wondering what happen to the street lights or why it was so
dark... i came to the realization my H4 lamp was out.
So flipping the switch ... i got the H4 brights on...and thus there was the road again.
The bike seems to run ok with a H4 on as long it's on 'high beam.'
So can the bike run on just the high beam without it effecting any other lights? or electrical system?
Dealer is out of stock on the stock bulb... and suggested to get something at an auto store? ...that all H4s for car would work ok?

Your replies very much appreciated ...Thanks!!

Hossamania

Any H4 bulb will work. The last one I bought from the dealer was exactly the same model and manufacturer as the one I picked up at the auto parts store.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Coyote

Just get one on Amazon or a parts store. Until then, running on High Beam won't hurt the bike at all.

Hossamania

Quote from: Coyote on October 13, 2021, 04:07:50 PM
Just get one on Amazon or a parts store. Until then, running on High Beam won't hurt the bike at all.

Won't hurt the bike, but oncoming traffic won't be happy.

starrider

Coyote

Quote from: Hossamania on October 13, 2021, 04:08:44 PM

Yeah but that wasn't the question asked.  :wink:

Hossamania

Quote from: Coyote on October 13, 2021, 04:29:08 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on October 13, 2021, 04:08:44 PM

Yeah but that wasn't the question asked.  :wink:

It was not.

guido4198

The "H4" designation refers to the design of the bulb and socket. If the bike doesn't have sealed beam headlamp, but uses an H4 socket and housing....in my experience...ANY H4 bulb works. The Sylvania "Silverstar" bulb has been a good choice and are easy to find. If you try any of the aftermarket bulbs available with wattage levels than factory wattage level, the so-called "offroad" H4 bulbs...like an 80/100 watt....be prepared to replace the socket in your headlamp housing when the plastic one melts.  :embarrassed: (You know how I know that)

mkd

when you put it in keep your fingers off the glass and look at the two lead contacts on the bulb to see if they are worn or in poor condition. Will give you an indication of the socket condition itself and if alot of bulb vibration is present. my eglide had a rubber boot went over everything if i remember correctly. dab of diellectric grease on the bulb contacts wouldn't hurt.

fbn ent

FWIW I ran Siverstar bulbs until I bucked up and got PIIAs.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

starrider

mkd

silverstar was the bulbs i ran too! long life and same color as the aux lights

crock

I have done a lot of headlight testing (Including LED and HID0 trying to keep my original style bulb envelope and found the "Philips #12567 to be the best H4 I could find
Crock