April 18, 2024, 02:23:30 PM

News:

oil cooler on twin cam

Started by Raleigh111, October 15, 2021, 11:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raleigh111

Looks like i have the factory oil cooler with no fans. Since I will be pushing the limits a bit I was wondering if there are any add on coolers or optional fans i can install on the one i have as it has no fan?  Thanks in advance
Harleys are addicting and im out of money. Accepting donations! 120 132hp 146tq

92flhtcu

Jagg and Ultra-Cool make fan assisted cooler kits, not sure if one could just get their fan kit and add-on to a factory cooler
Need a bigger garage

04rkryder

Big Sky Fan out of Missoula MT. That's what I installed on my 04RK years. Works great.

Might be cheaper if you go directly to their web site. https://bigskyfan.tripod.com/

Appowner

I've had an Oil Bud mounted for years now.  No issues and it really helped during hot summer commutes in Northern Virginia.  Almost impossible to see when mounted and adds roughly a half quart capacity.  However, no fan possible with these.

https://www.harleyoilcoolers.com/

cheech

Tman had this video about adding a OEM fan to the OEM cooler.
I'm aware the video is of an M8.
I do believe they increased the oil cooler size on the M8's.

Be slick though if any of this would retrofit on the Twin cams.
I haven't looked into any of it.
Just recently seen the video because it was in my feed.

Video Link

Raleigh111

October 18, 2021, 01:29:16 PM #5 Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 05:09:51 PM by Ohio HD
I ordered a fan from a guy off ebay, well see how that works? Supposed to fit in stock location with a shim or so on the 13s?

The Link I Posted Was Wayyyyyy to long.......

Does anyone know what this factory plug is up front? Must be for factory fans????

rigidthumper

What color wires in that harness?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Raleigh111

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 19, 2021, 05:22:04 AM
What color wires in that harness?
black blue strip/green brown strip/brown orange strip

rigidthumper

Thought it may be the Jiffy Stand Sensor, but JSS colors are BK/GN, GN/BN, and BN/O.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Appowner

The only difference is the blue and green stripes.  Different eyes looking at it and blue and green can often be mixed up on wiring colors.  Especially when it's a stripe.

I'd suggest the OP take a second look using a bright flashlight just to be sure.

Thermodyne

Quote from: Raleigh111 on October 15, 2021, 11:23:51 AM
Looks like i have the factory oil cooler with no fans. Since I will be pushing the limits a bit I was wondering if there are any add on coolers or optional fans i can install on the one i have as it has no fan?  Thanks in advance

The problems with the oem coolers are more than the lack of fans.  The factory thermostatic adapter doesn't flow very well, and the cooler itself is not very efficient.  I put fans on my oem unit why back in 11 or 12 and it didn't make 5 degrees worth of difference.  Even changed the thermostat in the adapter.

When I up graded to the 110, I added a Reefer cooler.  It did a little better job. 

Jug fans do more for cooling the motor than oil fans.  And I was recently made a believer in tank lifts for cooling.  A little 1 1/2 inch tank lift did more for cooling my TRX than all the other stuff I had done up to that point. 

Raleigh111

Quote from: Thermodyne on October 20, 2021, 01:11:09 PM
Quote from: Raleigh111 on October 15, 2021, 11:23:51 AM

The problems with the oem coolers are more than the lack of fans.  The factory thermostatic adapter doesn't flow very well, and the cooler itself is not very efficient.  I put fans on my oem unit why back in 11 or 12 and it didn't make 5 degrees worth of difference.  Even changed the thermostat in the adapter.

When I up graded to the 110, I added a Reefer cooler.  It did a little better job. 

Jug fans do more for cooling the motor than oil fans.  And I was recently made a believer in tank lifts for cooling.  A little 1 1/2 inch tank lift did more for cooling my TRX than all the other stuff I had done up to that point.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what you mean by tank lift? This is on a 13 road glide. I bought these fans off ebay today and they came with a plug in for acc switch. Here is the link to the video. seem to work but time will tell??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHheRKjoODQ&feature=related

chopper

FWIW.  I ran a test some years back that settled this for me.  I have a fairly stock 88.  Made my own oil cooler adapter, and run full flow through a Lockhart 420 cooler.  On a 95 degree day, after running fairly hard, I stopped and ideled for a while.  Using an infra red non contact temp probe.  I was getting a 12 to 15 degree temp drop, at a dead stop, idling.  NO airflow, other than convection..
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night