April 19, 2024, 03:37:11 AM

News:

Rear Axle Adjustment Cam

Started by JDhog211, October 15, 2021, 12:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDhog211

October 15, 2021, 12:06:36 PM Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 12:15:56 PM by JDhog211
My question concerns the Rear Axle adjustment on a FLHT and most touring models.
On the left side of the axle there is an adjustment cam and we know it's welded to the axle so when you turn the axle with a wrench the cam contacts the raised area on the swing arm and the belt will be tensioned to specs.
Note that on the right side where the slotted washer is attached there is a considerable rotational play between the washer and the axle.
So when you adjust the cam on the left side because there is this play on the right side cam, the right side will lag behind the left as the axle is turned ending in an uneven adjustment.
Can anyone comment on this?
Thank You.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.

Hybredhog

Not a massive big deal, and nothing to lose sleep over. If it lets you sleep, as you torque the right side, the ramp will slip a bit & rest on the side of the "D" cut. VT or others sell a handy little hex nut jig that keeps the left from loosening as it gets tightened.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

PoorUB

I had an '05, '10 and a '16 with the cam adjustment. I disregarded the factory procedure for torquing the axle and did this, Set the belt tension a bit too loose. Push the tire forward against the cams. Tighten the axle to 75 ftlbs. The higher initial torque helps keep the axle from moving around while doing the belt tension and the final torque. Then adjust the belt tension by turning the axle. Put a backup wrench on the axle to keep it from spinning and torque the axle to 125 ftlbs.

Both cams will be against the stops. I never noticed any problems doing it this way. The higher torque keep he axle from moving.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

JDhog211

Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.