April 19, 2024, 05:00:57 AM

News:

Low Fuel Level Light Staying on

Started by billbuilds, October 15, 2021, 03:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

The tank fuel gauge in my 2011 Road King reads just over half full though there appears to be close to 4 gallons in the tank. The thing is the low fuel level indicator light on the speedo is on. This is a real recent issue, it has always come on when down to about 1.5 gallons. Any idea on why it might be staying on?
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Coyote

The fuel level and low fuel indicators are completely separate indicators. They both receive the same signal though. The speedo determines when to light the low fuel lamp.

billbuilds

If the fuel level sending unit is good, which it appears to be as the fuel gauge is working and apparently the LFL light also gets its signal from the fuel level sending unit would it be safe to assume that there is a problem with the speedo?  It looks like a black ground wire and pink power wire from fuel level sending unit to gas cap fuel gauge. I'm having touble figuring which wire carries the signal to the LFL light via the speedo.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

bump

I just went through this with 2005 FLHTCI. Pulled fuel level sender from tank and checked it. I could get lfl light to go out while moving float. Level sender is not same voltage as fuel pump. The low level light is controled  in speedo.

billbuilds

October 16, 2021, 04:32:30 AM #4 Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 04:40:40 AM by billbuilds
Quote from: bump on October 16, 2021, 03:16:09 AM
I just went through this with 2005 FLHTCI. Pulled fuel level sender from tank and checked it. I could get lfl light to go out while moving float. Level sender is not same voltage as fuel pump. The low level light is controled  in speedo.

Well now I'm a bit confused. You say that you could get you low fuel level light to go out by moving the float then you say that the low fuel light is controlled in the speedo. Where does the LFL get its signal from? Coyote says that both the fuel gauge (mounted in false left side gas cap) and the low fuel level light in the speedo get their signal from the same source: I would assume that to be the fuel level sending unit in the tank. I see that the earlier RK models had a low fuel level light relay, don't see one for my 2011.

bump

The speedo sends signal to the level sender 5vdc then to ground. When LFL stays on it is most likely in speedo. Check for DTC codes in EMC and tsm/tssm. Look for broken wire or frayed.

billbuilds

Checked for codes and there are none. Wracking my brain to think of something that I may have done to cause this issue and  :idea:  I remembered that I had the gas tank and thus the dash off too a couple of weeks ago. In my haste to get my little detail complete I forgot to pull the maxi fuse. So I just went out to the garage amd pulled that fuse then unplugged the speedo. I then reversed this order and voila that annoying light is gone! Lesson learned: Don't be in such a haste to not pull that fuse when going into anything electrical.
                                                                                Thanks for the replies, Bill