April 19, 2024, 02:40:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

wiring placement FLH

Started by bobo, October 20, 2021, 06:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobo

hello does anyone know where we can find good pictures of wiring placement on a 1973 flh. I am starting from scratch with a new wing harness
24FH 33Chief 59Pan 2005FLHTC 2007 1200 sporty

kd

KD

david lee

in the back of the clymer manual. has all models

bobo

thank you all but I have a new wiring harness. What I was asking is placement of the harness. Such as which side of the neck does it enter the front end, which side of the seat post does it go down,does it go into the hole at the seat post? Does it go over the clutch cable to the relay under the battery box ? That is why I asked for pictures

76shuvlinoff

Are you going for factory correct on a restoration? 

It does not go down the post hole on my 76. I replaced my harness some 20 years ago and really just took the original placement as a recommendation. I really have no idea how many other fingers had been in there before me.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hossamania

You might try contacting the AMCA (Antique Motorcycle Club of America), someone there may have a source for you. Those guys can get very precise with restorations, pictures, documentation. Or try and find some local bike shows or clubs, or even similar bikes for sale in your area to take a look at.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

bobo

not going for a full factory restoration. I know it does not go down the seat post hole. just thought someone would have pictures when they took one down or put one back together. this came to me in boxes and a bare frame

capn

Wherever you put then its a tight fit.

billbuilds

October 23, 2021, 05:43:56 AM #8 Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 06:03:28 AM by billbuilds
     I had a 1973 FLH for a time that was a bit of a mongrel. The engine and matching numbers frame were 1973 but the rear fender was 58-72 style and the fuel tanks were the 67-72 style with the internal threaded petcock bung. Anyhow, as I recall the main wiring harness runs along the top of the frame backbone between the rear tank mounts down the left side of the seat post to the terminal plate that mounts on the seatpost behind the coil mount. Be cognicent of where your seat mount tabs are going to go here and run the harness accordingly. Going down the left side of the seat post keeps wiring away from the exhaust header. the front of the main exits on the right side of the stearing head and goes to the terminal block that mounts to the top triple tree on the same side.
     Note that there is a clamp (38712-68) that mounts to the terminal plate. This holds the tail light/directional wiring as well as the wire from the points ignition place  just before they all fasten to their respective terminals on the terminaal plate. IIRC the green wire from the starter relay went under the clutch cable on its way to the solenoid. Thus it basiically follows the same path as the heavy cable that goes from the starter to the solenoid.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

bobo

thanks for the info builds very appreciated  :baby: