March 28, 2024, 09:15:22 AM

News:

Tire repair

Started by 89 fxrs, October 21, 2021, 07:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89 fxrs

I got a small nail in the center of my tire in between the tread and was wondering if it could be repaired - I've read that some people use plugs but also read that they should not be used as a permanent fix - normally I would replace the tire but this tire only has approx. 2-3 thousand miles on it so if there's a safe way to fix it I'd like to do that - any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated   
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

FSG

I've been using https://www.stopngo.com/ Pocket Tire Plugger for 'I don't know how long ..... '

used it on my bikes, cages and others while out on the road, worn out tyres that had been plugged on bikes and cages

some don't like em but I've never had a problem

Coyote

Having used all of them, I now only use pre glued rope plugs. The mushroom plugs just don't hold without glue. I've see a couple push back. 

hattitude

I hadn't given this much thought.... so I did some google research..

I found this:

best tire plug

PoorUB

Same here, the cheap rope plugs work just fine.

In fact I picked up a screw in my rear tire the other day. I noticed the tire pressure was down a couple pounds on the TPMS and I could hear a tick-tick when I was driving down the street. Turned around and found a screw in the rear tire and jammed a rope plug in it. I will run it until the tire is worn out.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

guido4198

I've used the "rope" plugs to get home when I've had a tire pick something up on a roadtrip and lose air.  :up:
They worked just fine for the intended purpose. I've never left one in a bike tire to see how well it would hold up over time.  In one instance, The tire was a one week old front. :banghead: After getting home, I pulled the wheel and took it to my local indy shop. They put an internal patch inside the tire and installed a tube. I went on without incident to get 20,000 mi out of that tire.
That's my experience using plugs. Y'all's may vary.

smoserx1

I have done 2 or 3 on the rear of my FLHT and in all cases the tire lived out its life with no issues.  They were the string type.  Also have done several car tires too...BUT the last two I did failed on the cars.  Not radical failures but rather slow leaks.  Maybe God only gives us a certain amount of luck in life but I would be hesitant to do it again.

crock

I have used a lot of "plugs" over the years(Not om my motorcycle because I've always ran tube type) but in later years I was having them patched (from the inside). I have a beater truck that I drive most of the time around town. It gets maybe 3000 miles a year on it so tires last a long time. Had new tires a couple years ago from a local shop that I know well. Picked up a screw in a tire and went to get it patched and was told best to plug it. He said with having a tire age out instead of wear out he has seen water get into the belts and rust them and cause them to separate. I trust the guy and it made sense so......
Crock

Norton Commando

Quote from: Coyote on October 21, 2021, 08:26:01 PM
Having used all of them, I now only use pre glued rope plugs. The mushroom plugs just don't hold without glue. I've see a couple push back.

I, too, have found the sticky rope plugs to be the best for quickly repairing a tire puncture.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

calif phil

Safety Seal by North Shore Labs makes the best rope style plugs.  I would trust them in anything. 

The best way to repair it is to take the tire off and have a patch put in the inside, but I doubt you will find anyone that will do that (liability)

Fugawee

I also have used the rope plugs.  One time while heading out West on a cross country trip, I picked up a nail in the Mid-west on a brand new rear tire.  I tried Fix-a-flat. and it didn't hold all that long.  Pulled out the nail, and put the plug in.  Got to the West Coast, and back to the East Coast on that plug.  I also carry a small air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter.  It's about the size of 2 packs of smokes.  The only problem with it is that it dances around all over the place, if You place it on the ground.  The plugs, and compressor are standard equipment on My Baggers.

Hossamania

A flat tire story:
Out on a run, I see a low, pretty much flat, tire on a bagger with two up just as they were leaving for the next stop. I let them know right away, someone had some fix-a-flat, and they were able to get the tire up to about 20 pounds of air. I said I wouldn't trust it, I'd get her on another bike, take it easy and just go straight home. She hops on, and off they go.
Next stop, there they are at the bar whooping it up. I was a little gobsmacked by that one. People really are idiots.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

chaos901

Glad to read this, I carry and use the rope plugs too.  This confirmed my opinion.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

04 SE Deuce

For small to medium size nail/hole I've used Bowes tire string/multiplast and their grey compound. 
Closed needle with plug string, push in turn 90 degrees and pull out which gives you 4 strings in the hole and makes a couple "loops" of string inside the tire that is very unlikely to come back out.
Been using for over 30 years...never had 1 fail.
Bowes kit # TR37510...I just have the canister, string and compound.

kd

I think the best fix (even after plugging it to get home) is to remove the tire, clean and patch it properly inside and take it to a tire shop to vulcanize and seal the outer tread side to prevent the water / moisture ingestion that causes separation.
KD

PoorUB

Over the years I have put in a lot of rope plugs. In fact, years ago when I worked at a service station we might have plugged a few with rope plugs. We generally would patch an automotive tire, but I know I shoved in many plugs over the years I was there, not one complaint.

On motorcycles I have plugged many of my own and ran them until thy were bald. Not one leaked.

The plugs I use are Slime brand, sold at Walmart and other places.

mrmike

I agree with Coyote.

First time I used a rope style plug I ran that rear tire way past it's end. Then I decided to start carrying the Stop n Go plugs figuring being more complicated to install they just gotta be better, right?

Wrong, what an absolute PIA to install and had 2 failures, never had a fail with ropes.

So now I'm back to ropes in the bag, though I think I'll give Phil and Deuces suggestions a look see.

Who knows they may be more complicated and harder to install. Lol

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

89 fxrs

would like to know if it is it safe to install a plug where this nail is? I'm wondering if there's enough material for the plug to attach itself to
[attach=0]
  [attach=1]

FSG

PoorUB

I agree. That is about the same place I just plugged the tire on my BMW. Right in the groove of the tread, and the edge of the tread.

89 fxrs

Forgot to add that this tire as the balancing and sealant called Ride On in it  - obviously the sealant didn't work as well as I'd like it to, but can I still use a plug with the Ride On in it?

mrmike

Yup, when the last Stop n Go plug started to leak on me while out on the road I pulled into a auto parts store and put some Slime into the tire to seal it up, it worked fine and I got back on the road.

I would have no problem plugging that tire and running it.

Mike

Coyote

I wouldn't use the squirt sealant in anything. JMO of course.  :sick:

chopper

Quote from: Coyote on October 23, 2021, 05:42:04 PM

:up:  What  he said
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

Hossamania

Quote from: chopper on October 24, 2021, 06:43:40 AM

I used it once, it didn't really work, and then I forgot to tell the tech I had used it. He was not happy with me when I went to pick up my wheel.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Rockout Rocker Products

I've used the Ride On sealant with great results. Preventative rather than fixative tho.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

screem

Quote from: mrmike on October 23, 2021, 05:05:32 PM
Yup, when the last Stop n Go plug started to leak on me while out on the road I pulled into a auto parts store and put some Slime into the tire to seal it up, it worked fine and I got back on the road.

I would have no problem plugging that tire and running it.

Mike
I just picked up a half dozen tire plugging kits for the trucks at work. Slime company makes a great plugging tools and rope plugs ,and glue... the tools are really stout and should last years, they also have plugs and glue availible in seperate packs.

mrmike

Quote from: Hossamania on October 24, 2021, 07:27:52 AM
Quote from: chopper on October 24, 2021, 06:43:40 AM

I used it once, it didn't really work, and then I forgot to tell the tech I had used it. He was not happy with me when I went to pick up my wheel.

I agree my kids were forever getting holes in their bicycle tires so I bought some new tubes with the Slime already in them, didn't help a bit except it was easy to find the leak just look for the green "Potty mouth" coming out.

I my case I was on the road and the plug had a slow leak so I was looking to buy some time til I got home and in this case it worked.

Needless to say Blackhills Ken was less than pleased with me when I brought the tire in for a change after I told him it had green "Potty mouth" in it. Lol

Mike

rigidthumper

That slime tends to go everywhere when breaking the bead... :angry: :angry: :angry:
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

SixShooter14

yep, I've had good and bad luck with the various slime products. But it's always a mess for the guy doing the changing.....

Same with the canned fix-a-flat. It can sometimes get ya home, but there's a cost to that crap.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

calif phil

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on October 24, 2021, 07:56:15 AM
I've used the Ride On sealant with great results. Preventative rather than fixative tho.

Ride on is a great product. 

chaos901

Another for Ride On, it does not make a mess when you change the tire either as it stays inside the tire. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE