March 28, 2024, 05:40:49 PM

News:

Removing wrinkle paint from heads and cases

Started by Reddog74usa, October 23, 2021, 07:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

I have a panhead engine that's been painted wrinkle black that I want to bring back to the natural aluminum look. Any ideas other than pulling it apart and glass beading it? I don't want to use anything to aggressive so it doeasent effect the integrity fo the aluminum.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

cheech

I'm sure any good aircraft stripper would work.
We used to use oven cleaner in the BMX days to remove anodize from aluminum.
Don know if it'd work on powder or paint.
And do believe its caustic.  :dgust:
I don't think we cared back then.

Ohio HD

I'd say use aircraft stripper in small areas at a time. Also avoid getting the stripper near the head gasket, pan cover gaskets etc. We also used the stripper to remove stuck on gaskets.

cheech

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 23, 2021, 12:43:49 PM
I'd say use aircraft stripper in small areas at a time. Also avoid getting the stripper near the head gasket, pan cover gaskets etc. We also used the stripper to remove stuck on gaskets.
I do that on gaskets also.  :up: Works like a charm.
That way no harsh tools gouging aluminum.

turboprop

Quote from: Reddog74usa on October 23, 2021, 07:20:35 AM
I have a panhead engine that's been painted wrinkle black that I want to bring back to the natural aluminum look. Any ideas other than pulling it apart and glass beading it? I don't want to use anything to aggressive so it doeasent effect the integrity fo the aluminum.

Seal it up and have it soda blasted. Much less abrasive, no heat, etc.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

hrdtail78

I have stripped many aircraft and mainly components.  We used a professional furniture stripper because it worked better.  BUT it always went into a blasting cabinet for finish work.
Semper Fi

Reddog74usa

I like the soda blast idea and do have a guy local that does it.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

turboprop

Quote from: Reddog74usa on October 28, 2021, 03:45:48 PM
I like the soda blast idea and do have a guy local that does it.

The resulting finish will be very nice, much better than bead blasting, not not as gucci as vapor blasting.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.