April 19, 2024, 04:26:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TB Width Fit

Started by Ohio HD, October 24, 2021, 04:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

When building a motor with longer cylinders, using base gaskets, varied thickness head gaskets and heads that've been milled. The OEM width intake sometimes isn't wide enough. I drew a visual model of my last 124" from records I took when building it. The drawing is within 0.002" on the intake width measured at the heads.

I'm going to wait until I assemble this next 124" and will create a spreadsheet to calculate the width intake needed. Bore size or OEM head type doesn't mean anything, you just will need to know the overall cylinder height with gaskets, the head thickness after being milled, and the intake throat diameter and the calculation should be really close.   

I want to build the next motor before putting figures to paper. I'll upload it once it's done.

[attach=0]

98fxstc

I did some calculations some years ago and posted them here.
If cylinder height is decreased by h, then the spigot on the intake manifold should be trimmed by (0.4142)h

Ohio HD

I'm looking more at when a wider intake is needed, what to order.

Norton Commando

How much taller will your cylinders be compared to your drawing above?

If, for example, you make the cylinders taller by 0.1000", then your new distance between intake port centers will be: 0.0765" + 3.6829" = 3.7594". 

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Ohio HD

The calculation isn't the problem. It's determining what is the normal start point. I can't assume things based on one motor. So I'll wait until I assemble this next one and measure it.

Don D

The center to center can be used as a datum. I am assuming that is how you will compare stock to the other builds? They are multiple angle spigots which complicates things, as you know.

Hillside Motorcycle

We simply machine the intake mounting surfaces in one of our vertical mills, as per calculations we have come up with many years ago.
Extremely common practice here.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"