April 20, 2024, 07:11:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Setting cam bearing depth question

Started by rich1, October 29, 2021, 04:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1

Getting ready to install cam and only have one question left. I have watched various videos on installing the cam bearing into the case. And measuring the depth. As long as the bearing sits flush or slightly below the case surface what possible difference can this make? The cam itself can't ride below the surface of the case. Seems like a tedious step that isn't necessary. But if needed, I will do it. Thanks

Buglet

I think your right, it should make no difference. I've done enough with no side effects. I think Harley says to do it they way so there Teck's get it right and if there's a problem they can use it for an excuse.   JMO

wfolarry

The reason is because the bearing cup compresses when installed. If you changed the amount of press fit it would change how tight/loose the cam would be in the bearing. Installing it to a certain depth just insures that the bearing cup has compressed evenly & will run straight & true.

Buglet

I would think the hole for the bearing would be bore straight and even. I would think if the bearing is in the bore recessed a little it shouldn't matter were it set.

ziggy24

Quote from: rich1 on October 29, 2021, 04:39:51 AM
Getting ready to install cam and only have one question left. I have watched various videos on installing the cam bearing into the case. And measuring the depth. As long as the bearing sits flush or slightly below the case surface what possible difference can this make? The cam itself can't ride below the surface of the case. Seems like a tedious step that isn't necessary. But if needed, I will do it. Thanks

Depending on whose tool you are using. Some have a shoulder that sets the depth of the bearing into the case. No need to measure then.

rich1

I bought a Jim's tool knock off made in China. Nobody on Amazon has had an issue with the tool. I can't justify the price for the Jim's for a one time use. Will sell it after the job is completed

aussie123

Removing and installing cam bearings , (in TC or M8), for first timers can be challenging... When removing, making sure tool is set up right so bearing needles dont break out and go out the back into the crank.... When installing , making sure bearing is square and is seated at correct depth....

As a member has mentioned , most tools have a shoulder on the installer tool that sets the depth, ie, press in bearing until you feel firm resistance. Check with flash lights to make sure shoulder is flush to case. With shoulder flush with case, the installer is designed, once flush with the case , to also have the rear of the bearing seated flush with the cup/shoulder in the bore, (which is were the bearing is meant to be seated).... No measuring to be done.

Now this is only an example to get a point across.
If you did not use a dedicated cam bearing tool , but used an old bearing or socket etc , and tapped the bearing in square to seat flush with the cup/shoulder down the bore, (you will feel resistance and different sound as bearing is seated)...
With the above example, would'nt  the bearing be installed properly, ie , correct depth and no need for any tedious measurements ??? 

rich1

Aussie123. I agree with what you are saying. And prior to the M8 that's how it was done. And that may still be perfectly fine. But there is a detailed procedure in the factory service manual on measuring the depth. I think WFOLarry is on to something in his explanation. And for all I know there is an extremely minor taper in the bore the bearing goes in. Didn't used to be that way but who knows.

Hillside Motorcycle

Very doubtful the cam bearing bore has a taper.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Clayton24

Not a taper just a bevel i thought and you need to go just past it so the whole bearing is all the way in the case with even pressure across the whole bearing . Maybe

aussie123

Bevel , Taper , I'm a little confused !!!   I hope the photo uploads....

There is a small shoulder, (seat), at bottom of bore. Its is not as substantial as say , the shoulder, (seat), of a wheel hub that you seat an ABS wheel bearing, but it is a seat, (stop), for the inner cam bearing, so you can not over press the bearing to far and into the crank area.... You dont want to overly force the bearing on this shoulder, (seat), as mentioned above its not that substantial and you dont want to damage the bore/case.

Now if the engineers ,(measurement procedure in the manual), have a good reason, and dont want the inner cam bearings to seat on this shoulder by a millimeter or two, (basically the bearing is floating), then who am I to disagree....

I have only used a bearing installer that has a shoulder that sets the bearing depth.... But it sure looked to me the bearing was seated on the shoulder/seat down the bore..... Anyway , its making for a good discussion.....

wfolarry

That shoulder isn't meant for the bearing to seat against. It can break out very easily. It's just there to keep the bearing from walking out. If somebody used that as a depth stop when installing the bearing they could find out the hard way.

I know somebody is going to say "I installed 50 of them & never had a breakout." That may be true but there is a right way & then all the other ways. Your choice.

les

When the 1 inch bearing came out I got the SE tool to install them.  The pusher did not have the shoulder like my 3/4" Kent-Moore tool.  What I ended up doing with my 1 inch tool is to take really good measurements and then have a friend make a brass bushing that I put under the bolt head of the installer.  When the bushing is grounded out between the bolt head and support plate, the bearing is installed at the perfect 3.1" depth and right at the bottom of the bearing bore bevel.  Makes the installation just as fast and easy as the older 3/4" bearings.

ziggy24

Quote from: aussie123 on October 29, 2021, 04:12:20 PM
Removing and installing cam bearings , (in TC or M8), for first timers can be challenging... When removing, making sure tool is set up right so bearing needles dont break out and go out the back into the crank.... When installing , making sure bearing is square and is seated at correct depth....

As a member has mentioned , most tools have a shoulder on the installer tool that sets the depth, ie, press in bearing until you feel firm resistance. Check with flash lights to make sure shoulder is flush to case. With shoulder flush with case, the installer is designed, once flush with the case , to also have the rear of the bearing seated flush with the cup/shoulder in the bore, (which is were the bearing is meant to be seated).... No measuring to be done.

Now this is only an example to get a point across.
If you did not use a dedicated cam bearing tool , but used an old bearing or socket etc , and tapped the bearing in square to seat flush with the cup/shoulder down the bore, (you will feel resistance and different sound as bearing is seated)...
With the above example, would'nt  the bearing be installed properly, ie , correct depth and no need for any tedious measurements ???

Jim's isn't the only tool maker. 

https://mbsmfg.com/harley-davidson-tools-bearings/

Ohio HD