Compensator Ramps for M8 Softail Widetire bikes (FLFB/FXBR/FXDR)

Started by FranBunnyFFXII, October 29, 2021, 08:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FranBunnyFFXII

I have a 2018 Fat Boy 114, stock tune, and am looking at stage 2 overbuilt powertrain for a final goal.

I've seen many cases of the compensator ramp blowing apart and making a disaster of the Primary, so I want to replace it with a forged piece or eliminate it all together.
I'd rather not run an eliminator, so I've found 3 options for comp ramps. Moonshine HD, Cyclerama, and TTS Performance, all of which sell a forged compensator ramp.
However none of them have a fitment chart that includes an FLFBS.
As some people here may already know the FLFB, FXBR and FXDR have the wider primary setup, that makes it so you can run a baker or darkhorse compensator, or the eliminators made for the standard narrow tire bikes found in the touring and 180mm M8 Softails.

I checked Ronnie's HD for the part numbers for the compensator ramp, and the diagrams don't list the ramp individually but instead the ramp with the gear together as a single part number.

So now I'm coming here to ask, is the compensator Ramp the same in all the M8 primary compensators?
I'd like to grab one of these and rectify any chance the comp has at bringing me trouble, but I have to make sure it fits first.
2018 Fat Boy 114 "Rayearth" Resurgence Limited Paint, 20/150. Stage 2 SE-447

rigidthumper

Moonshine HD says their comp piece fits all M8s.
LINK
Maybe call them direct and see?  615.266.0333
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

ziggy24

Quote from: FranBunnyFFXII on October 29, 2021, 08:53:19 AM
I have a 2018 Fat Boy 114, stock tune, and am looking at stage 2 overbuilt powertrain for a final goal.

I've seen many cases of the compensator ramp blowing apart and making a disaster of the Primary, so I want to replace it with a forged piece or eliminate it all together.
I'd rather not run an eliminator, so I've found 3 options for comp ramps. Moonshine HD, Cyclerama, and TTS Performance, all of which sell a forged compensator ramp.
As some people here may already know the FLFB, FXBR and FXDR have the wider primary setup, that makes it so you can run a baker or darkhorse compensator, or the eliminators made for the standard narrow tire bikes found in the touring and 180mm M8 Softails.

I checked Ronnie's HD for the part numbers for the compensator ramp, and the diagrams don't list the ramp individually but instead the ramp with the gear together as a single part number.

So now I'm coming here to ask, is the compensator Ramp the same in all the M8 primary compensators?
I'd like to grab one of these and rectify any chance the comp has at bringing me trouble, but I have to make sure it fits first.

Compare the part numbers here. Pretty sure they are the same for M8s

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?make=hdmc

FranBunnyFFXII

Quote from: ziggy24 on October 29, 2021, 09:37:09 AM
Quote from: FranBunnyFFXII on October 29, 2021, 08:53:19 AM

Compare the part numbers here. Pretty sure they are the same for M8s

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?make=hdmc
Yeah i already checked here.

As I noted before, the diagram for the FLFBS and FXLR(a wide tire softail and a narrow tire softail), the comp ramp is not labeled seperately and instead the gear and ramp together are a shared part number.
And they are different for the FLFBS and FXLR.

FLFBS:14      40100087      COMPENSATOR ASSEMBLY (WIDE)
FXLR:13      40100076      COMPENSATOR ASSEMBLY

I'm just trying to make sure the difference is somewhere else and that the comp ramp for all the M8 bikes are the same part/identical.

ziggy24

Try calling cyclerama.That's where I git mine. They answered the phone when I called.

hrdtail78

If you look up the part numbers for the different comps you have listed.  You might find directions that call out individual part numbers that make up each kit.
Semper Fi

FranBunnyFFXII

Ok so I did some calling around and emailing, and this is what I got back.

Rich from TTS: "All the ramps are the same in the M8 Bikes."
Moonshine HD: "Yes the comp ramp we make fits the M8 Fat Boy. We've done comp eliminators before on wide tire that required modifications, but they didnt involve the compensator ramp."
Cycle-Rama: "Yes the compensator ramp we make fits a 2018 Fat Boy."

It's good to have that information confirmed from different sources.

Dropping the idea of using an eliminator sprocket and going with a forged comp ramp.

FranBunnyFFXII

Installed a CycleRama Compensator Ramp replacement last night and happy to report it drops right in and fits.
Glad to have a practically bullet proof primary drive now.

CVOThunder

Ok, didn't read your fix. Does the Darkhorse Man O-War MOTORSPROCKETS fit?

Nope, guess it doesn't. Leaving it here in case someone else is looking. Bummer.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23898866-man-o-war-motorsprocket-34t-milwaukee-8.html#!make%3DHARLEY-DAVIDSON%7C%7Cyear%3D2020%7C%7Cmodel%3DTOURING%20FLH%2FFLT%20MODELS
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

ziggy24

Quote from: CVOThunder on January 18, 2022, 07:29:55 AMOk, didn't read your fix. Does the Darkhorse Man O-War MOTORSPROCKETS fit?

Nope, guess it doesn't. Leaving it here in case someone else is looking. Bummer.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23898866-man-o-war-motorsprocket-34t-milwaukee-8.html#!make%3DHARLEY-DAVIDSON%7C%7Cyear%3D2020%7C%7Cmodel%3DTOURING%20FLH%2FFLT%20MODELS

From Darkhorse:
 Fits '17 - present M8® Touring models & Softail® '18 - present (Except Models FLFB, FLFBS, FXBR, FXBRS, FXDR)

FranBunnyFFXII

Quote from: CVOThunder on January 18, 2022, 07:29:55 AMOk, didn't read your fix. Does the Darkhorse Man O-War MOTORSPROCKETS fit?

No. The widetire bikes cannot run the dark horse man o war.
That's why I went looking for the comp ramp replacements.