April 16, 2024, 06:17:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

6 Gallon Gas Tank

Started by WhipLash96, October 29, 2021, 12:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

What year did HD introduce the 6 gallon gas tank and will it fit an 01 FLTR?
Thanks,
Whip

fleetmechanic

Started appearing on the touring models in 2008.

Ohio HD

October 29, 2021, 12:19:19 PM #2 Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 12:31:11 PM by Ohio HD
2008 first year for the 6 gallon tanks. And they will not directly bolt on a 2001, and are for FI bikes.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 29, 2021, 12:19:19 PM
2008 first year for the 6 gallon tanks. And they will not directly bolt on a 2001, and are for FI bikes.

So why won't it bolt directly to an 01? I am going to do an WFI conversion on this bike so EFI is what I am looking for.

The tunnel is the same, and is the mounting brackets.  My main concern is the Gerth...??
Thanks,
Whip

Ohio HD

Five gallon tanks use three fasteners, six gallon tanks use four. So the brackets are not exactly the same. You asked if it "fit", not could it be "made" to fit. It is not a bolt on. You can put anything on anything else with enough work.

biglew55

Aren't the tunnels clearanced differently for the stabilizer (pre-'08) or lack of it when they moved it the the front head that year too?
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

WhipLash96

Gotcha. I took a closer look at the internet and I see what you are talking about.  I  bought a 5 gallon tank for this project but was second guessing it because the tank that I bought looks bigger than the tank that's on my bike now. The tank that I have only has 3 mounting points.
Thanks,
Whip

hrdtail78

Quote from: biglew55 on October 29, 2021, 12:54:32 PM
Aren't the tunnels clearanced differently for the stabilizer (pre-'08) or lack of it when they moved it the the front head that year too?

Yes.  The tunnels are different. 
Semper Fi

Tacocaster

If memory serves, the '08 6 gal was also the first tank that could be removed without first dumping gas all over you, the engine, the floor, the front fender, etc, etc, even with all "best of intents" in place, via the external crossover hose at the lower front of the tank.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

smoserx1

And I also seem to recall I thought the 6 gallon tank served as the front anchor for the seat (as opposed to the frame).  If true the modification would require a new seat too.  Stuff like that starts to get out of hand IMO.

calif phil

The 5 gal tank looks so much better to me, but not having to deal with the crossover line makes me not care so much about the looks.

fleetmechanic

Being able to remove the tank without having to drain it is at least as big a plus as the extra gallon.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: calif phil on October 30, 2021, 06:59:42 AM
The 5 gal tank looks so much better to me, but not having to deal with the crossover line makes me not care so much about the looks.
I think it depends on the color. I once saw a late model white RK sitting next to a black one at a dealer, and the white one looked much bigger to me. It almost looked out of place.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

mrmike

Member Herko used to sell the quick disconnects to install on the crossover line. Once that was done it made the fuel tank removal a simple job. I bought them they work perfectly.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

jmorton10

Quote from: calif phil on October 30, 2021, 06:59:42 AM

I agree 100% on the looks. I fixed the crossover problem with a quick disconnect.

~John 
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Hossamania

Many years ago the bigger tanks were all the rage, had some friends put 6 gallon tanks on old Softails that used to be 4.2 gallon tanks. At the time they looked pretty good, but have kind of become dated and bloated looking.
As far as the crossover, I don't remove the tank that often, but when I do, I just send the fuel flying when I pull the crossover and fight to get a cap on there before it all leaks out. What could go wrong?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

smoserx1

QuoteI do, I just send the fuel flying when I pull the crossover and fight to get a cap on there before it all leaks out. What could go wrong?

Probably nothing if you don't smoke while doing it.  I have a 6 gal gas can I drain the tank into.  Use a mity vac on the petcock...very little vacuum needed (2-5 inches).  Too much & you can damage the petcock (or so I have heard, may be BS).  I still get a little gas spillage when I remove the crossover hose and lift the tank, maybe an ounce or so.  Keep everything vented and you will be fine (hopefully) :wink:

motorhogman

Quote from: Hossamania on October 31, 2021, 07:09:20 AM
Many years ago the bigger tanks were all the rage, had some friends put 6 gallon tanks on old Softails that used to be 4.2 gallon tanks. At the time they looked pretty good, but have kind of become dated and bloated looking.
As far as the crossover, I don't remove the tank that often, but when I do, I just send the fuel flying when I pull the crossover and fight to get a cap on there before it all leaks out. What could go wrong?
Hoss this is what I have been using for 40 years on fuel lines.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

motorhogman

Quote from: smoserx1 on October 31, 2021, 07:59:46 AM
QuoteI do, I just send the fuel flying when I pull the crossover and fight to get a cap on there before it all leaks out. What could go wrong?

Probably nothing if you don't smoke while doing it.  I have a 6 gal gas can I drain the tank into.  Use a mity vac on the petcock...very little vacuum needed (2-5 inches).  Too much & you can damage the petcock (or so I have heard, may be BS).  I still get a little gas spillage when I remove the crossover hose and lift the tank, maybe an ounce or so.  Keep everything vented and you will be fine (hopefully) :wink:

I to use the mighty vac to open the fuel valve.  It only takes a couple of inches of vacuum to open it from my experience.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Hossamania

Quote from: motorhogman on October 31, 2021, 08:57:37 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on October 31, 2021, 07:09:20 AM
Hoss this is what I have been using for 40 years on fuel lines.

For the crossover, two are needed, then the hose gets cut and replaced. Not a big deal, just the way it is.
I've got a Pingel petcock, so no vacuum needed.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

klammer76

It's simple to make a disconnect for a 5 gallon cross over. Just type in "5/16 Fuel Quick Disconnect Kit" by Brand OCD to google. I have used them for years.

billbuilds

Quote from: klammer76 on November 04, 2021, 06:54:35 PM
It's simple to make a disconnect for a 5 gallon cross over. Just type in "5/16 Fuel Quick Disconnect Kit" by Brand OCD to google. I have used them for years.

And free shipping too.   :up:
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.