April 20, 2024, 01:21:04 AM

News:

No clutch

Started by Wildone385, May 18, 2023, 05:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildone385

09 ultra replaced compensator and replaced clutch cable can't get clutch to disengage checked ramp to make sure one of the balls didn't roll over to another one clutch adj tried 1/2 turn out 3/4 and 1 full turn after lightly seating pull the clutch in put it in gear it launches forward and dies what am I missing

fbn ent

Did you back the cable off before you set the push rod? Lightly bottom the adjusting screw, back out, I like a flat and a half (ish). Then tighten the cable up until you get 1/16" free play (cold).
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Wildone385

Yes I did all 3 times it has pull at the lever feels good just won't disengage

Ohio HD

Something has been assembled wrong or not adjusted correctly. I would read through the post at the link below for the same problem. Lot's of good advice was given as to what to check.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,119967.0.html

FSG

Did you make sure the inner ramp was in it's home position before you started to adjust ?

Mi Infidel

Might sound stupid but make sure you "tighten" the clutch adjustment on the cable so the lever is loose. Then do the adjustment at the clutch with the Allen wrench and wrench. After that "loosen" or make the space larger between the clutch cable adjuster's. Just went through this because someone adjusted mine incorrectly.... the manual explains it fairly well. 
2001 FXD 2006 stock heads 95" @ 10.5:1 Fueling 543
Dynatek ignition Supertrapp 2:1 29 tooth front pulley

FSG

maybe a Shovel Spring is in your future  :SM:

JSD

Above spring from the rotary shift lid 4 speed 

FSG

Wildone385

No spring on this I took it all back apart redid everything looks like I got it the adjuster on the cable is about at the end but it is working now

FSG

Quote from: Wildone385 on May 23, 2023, 11:05:20 AMthe adjuster on the cable is about at the end

I'd say it's the wrong cable then 

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Wildone385 on May 18, 2023, 05:14:50 PMtried 1/2 turn out 3/4 and 1 full turn after lightly seating pull the clutch in put it in gear it launches forward and dies what am I missing

If the clutch is not disengaging, backing out the adjuster rod will make the issue worse.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

HC2019

I've had this issue once before, fought it forever until I realized the snap ring was not fully seated in the clutch basket.  Might check that if all was well before the swap.

Respect