April 19, 2024, 12:16:16 PM

News:

Oil Pressure relief valve

Started by fbn ent, June 12, 2023, 06:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Bike is all back together.......NO oil flow  :turd:  :turd:  :turd: . Possible stuck relief valve? I didn't see the need to pull all the plugs to clean them out as there was no failure.   Is there a problem with pushing the spring pin in from the outside to check it? There is enough room and I can something to hold the piston in. Assuming of course that my gunsmith neighbor has a small enough pin punch I can borrow in the morning. I really, really don't want to go all the way in but may have to....     
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Ohio HD

Could you have forgotten the o-ring, or it slipped away from the oil feed port?

fbn ent

June 12, 2023, 07:16:38 PM #2 Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 07:25:50 PM by fbn ent
Right now I guess anything is possible. I remember it being there. I expected a bit of tweeking after starting but NOT open heart surgery. If this goes too long, I'm going to look for a good stand in for the season....Is it possible the valve is stuck?

EDIT: I've got the cam case uncovered, I'll delve into it tomorrow...

Ohio HD

QuoteIs it possible the valve is stuck?

Anything is possible. You need a 1/8" pin punch to remove the roll pin.

kd

Before you tear into it, remove the oil pressure sending unit and crank it over.  See if it gives up some oil.  That may eliminate the chance there is air embolism preventing the pump from grabbing a gulp to get it moving on down the line.     
KD

fbn ent

thanks kd. I thought about doing that in the AM. Again, can I tap the spring pin out while leaving the plate installed? I know I will have to make some kind of a tool to push the spring in with.

Ohio HD

I think retrieving the roll pin will be tough with the cam plate on the motor.

kd

June 12, 2023, 09:41:30 PM #7 Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 10:19:46 PM by kd
Quote from: fbn ent on June 12, 2023, 08:50:45 PMthanks kd. I thought about doing that in the AM. Again, can I tap the spring pin out while leaving the plate installed? I know I will have to make some kind of a tool to push the spring in with.

Read post #6.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,120030.0.html

I may also be inclined to stuff a rag on the oil filler tube and add 5 or 10 lbs of air to the tank to give it a light push. Remember the oil primer cans you used to use before cranking a new (dry) engine?
KD

fbn ent

Don't know how I didn't see that post either live or in my search. Thanks kd.

Hilly13

The roll pin can be done, finicky but doable, did you have the oil pump apart? It is possible to put things back in the wrong order and still fit, won't make pressure though, hope you find something simple as the cause.
Just because its said don't make it so

fbn ent

Quote from: Hilly13 on June 13, 2023, 12:46:28 PMThe roll pin can be done, finicky but doable, did you have the oil pump apart? It is possible to put things back in the wrong order and still fit, won't make pressure though, hope you find something simple as the cause.

Yeah....coming apart now.