March 28, 2024, 05:45:35 AM

News:

124" Project Storm Breaker

Started by Ohio HD, November 02, 2021, 05:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd

Quote from: kd on May 26, 2022, 07:07:03 PMI experimented stacking base gaskets using Permatex Aviation form A non hardening gasket cement in a thin film just enough to put a shine on the surface.  When the barrels are torqued down any access will form a barely noticeable bead around the perimeter of the base.  It is easily removed with a pointy stick and cleans up with solvent. I measured the stack components and that was exactly the dimension that showed up on the deck height change. Even with a linen paper stacked as a shim 4 years later still bone dry.   Now I better not have jinxed myself to share this with you.  :crook: 

I should have added that the Cometic SLS base gaskets have a micro rubber coating too.  They are stamped identical so they may not crush the stacked vein (the way they fit together) with the OEM head torque.   I know they told me I could do it but didn't ask about compressing 2 SLS veins together.  It may be a good question to ask them.

I initially experimented with used SLS but ended up using linen document paper so I didn't .
KD

Ohio HD

May 26, 2022, 09:14:14 PM #251 Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 09:53:10 PM by Ohio HD
I know as well as most that engine analyzer softwares are only a mathematical estimate of what a specific motor build might produce power wise. I have all of the data I need, actual data from the exhaust, heads, cams, etc. I also learned a few things about the software, there is a way to input cam data that indicates a broader nose lobe, which these cams have. Also I found out that when I had roller hydraulics selected as the lifters, I was getting some strange output on the top of the RPM range. I selected solid roller lifters and the power drop off stopped, and some other areas of the suggested dyno output made more sense to look at the curves. I'm running lifters with limiters. So in essence they are solids in the event that the hydraulic lifter bleeds down any at all.

So I'm posting this final result. Mainly I just want to see how close the actual output will be. might be close, it might not be. I think it'll be close.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Wookie3011

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 26, 2022, 07:35:13 PMI have to give Andrew at DH a good word. I spoke to him on Monday, and by Tuesday they started on my crankshaft. Today, Thursday they finished, and will ship it tomorrow.

This should be the last of any major expenses, except tuning the bike. It'll cost me as much in fuel to haul my bike to the tuner and back as it'll be to tune it.....   but that's maybe September the way timewise things stand now.

Good thing, I'm getting light headed from selling blood every few days to fund this project.   

Blood, Sweat and hopefully no tears. All the ingredients of a good build.

rigidthumper

This is my guess, in STD.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Ohio HD

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 27, 2022, 04:22:55 AMThis is my guess, in STD.

We're not all that far apart. This will be the interesting part for sure, when the motor mounts the dyno and gets tuned.

Mine is listed as SAE, but as with "most" software representations, they might be a touch optimistic. I've tried to setup the system with what I really do know. 

Ohio HD

I overlade the two computer generated sheets. I adjusted the STD sheet that rigidthumper provided as best as I can to SAE. Mine is still a little more optimistic. But they do get very close in some of the RPM ranges. As well the shape of the curves are very similar.

Ohio HD

May 27, 2022, 03:18:15 PM #257 Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 06:59:34 PM by Ohio HD
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 26, 2022, 07:35:13 PMI have to give Andrew at DH a good word. I spoke to him on Monday, and by Tuesday they started on my crankshaft. Today, Thursday they finished, and will ship it tomorrow.

This should be the last of any major expenses, except tuning the bike. It'll cost me as much in fuel to haul my bike to the tuner and back as it'll be to tune it.....  but that's maybe September the way timewise things stand now.

Good thing, I'm getting light headed from selling blood every few days to fund this project.   

Well, looks like the crankshaft will arrive this Sunday.

I guess Andrew shipped it by "Pony Express" from Darkhorse.    :smile:

turboprop

Maybe it has already been posted, but could you repeat what platform this is going in?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on May 27, 2022, 03:35:31 PMMaybe it has already been posted, but could you repeat what platform this is going in?

Heavy bike, 2008 Street Glide. Right now OA gearing is 3.063:1. I may drop it as much as 3.509:1.

turboprop

Bagger racing seems to be all the rage right now. I don't get it. Sort of like a strip club with a bunch of fat chicks, but to each their own. Do you plan to take this deathwagen to the track?

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on May 27, 2022, 04:41:04 PMBagger racing seems to be all the rage right now. I don't get it. Sort of like a strip club with a bunch of fat chicks, but to each their own. Do you plan to take this deathwagen to the track?

:hyst:    Hard telling at this point. It's meant more for screwing with my friends. I also plan to do some work with the suspension. Maybe Racetech parts in the forks, rear, not sure yet. But will add 1" to the shock length. I already wear my floor boards out. Will also be rebuilding the swing arm pivot when I change swingarms.

Ohio HD

May 27, 2022, 05:01:04 PM #262 Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 07:00:20 PM by Ohio HD
I take that back, Andrew is using "Wild Stallion Express" from Darkhorse.

The crank will be here tomorrow.

Don D

I think you will hit the mark.
I put in some hypotheticals that I didn't know for sure like the compression and head data.

Ohio HD

Like we used to say at work. All that FedEx will ever be is UPS's little brother......
They changed the delivery back to Sunday.

Crank is sitting in Chicago. They probably read "Crankworks" on the box, and called in the DEA.     :pop:

Wookie3011

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 28, 2022, 06:21:56 PMLike we used to say at work. All that FedEx will ever be is UPS's little brother......
They changed the delivery back to Sunday.

Crank is sitting in Chicago. They probably read "Crankworks" on the box, and called in the DEA.     :pop:

y

Could be worse, could be stuck in New Jersey. Every package I have go through there is a week delayed just sitting.

Ohio HD

The crankshaft arrived today. As with all their work, looks superb, and is smooth.

They have the sprocket shaft race at 0.0006" total run out, the pinion shaft race is 0.0005" total run out. The pinion shaft at the cam plate / oil pump is 0.0004" total run out.

There isn't anyone that could do better. Maybe as good, but not better.

Ohio HD

May 29, 2022, 01:06:44 PM #267 Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 05:08:13 PM by Ohio HD
I tested the S&S 31-2026 piston oiler jets. I forgot to order new HD SE jets to compare them. Right at 10 PSI pressure, the valves opened and oil started dribbling. At 18 PSI the valve is shooting a strong stream of oil. I would say it was easily seven to eight inches. So no issues getting oil to the piston bottom even at TDC. I used dino 20w50 oil, and it was at ambient temperature.

Ohio HD

May 31, 2022, 11:40:26 AM #268 Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 11:48:21 AM by Ohio HD
The clutch that will be used for this project will be a Bandit 039831 Sportsman Super Clutch. I remembered that there was some talk about some of the Bandit clutch baskets bottoming on the inner primary bearing race when an S&S race was used. I've had this clutch since 2016, had not been used.

So I made a quick sketch of the clutch hub where it goes over the transmission shaft. I then dimension the length of the splined snout and sent it to John Magee. He replied almost instantly, and told me the length I have indicated will not come in contact with the S&S bearing race.

So this dimension shown will clear the S&S inner primary race.

kd

When I bought mine I spoke with him and he ended up machining mine back.  That was a few years ago and I think you got yours then too.  He may have asked you what you were using also.  That diagram looks trimmed.

I had my Evo Ind basket trimmed for a jobber brg too.
KD

Ohio HD

I went to look at the recent from Bandit, it says 04/02/2018. So my memory was off two years. That's the way it came without my asking to do anything. At the time I was planning to use the roller bearing that Baker ships with the Grudge Box.

I guess by then it became a standard offering.

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 31, 2022, 11:40:26 AMThe clutch that will be used for this project will be a Bandit 039831 Sportsman Super Clutch. I remembered that there was some talk about some of the Bandit clutch baskets bottoming on the inner primary bearing race when an S&S race was used. I've had this clutch since 2016, had not been used.

So I made a quick sketch of the clutch hub where it goes over the transmission shaft. I then dimension the length of the splined snout and sent it to John Magee. He replied almost instantly, and told me the length I have indicated will not come in contact with the S&S bearing race.

I think the actual amount to be removed is somewhat variable as the location of the inner race is not absolute. If the goal is to keep as much of the hub on the shaft as possible then it might make sense to remove some material and fit it to the hub, remove some more, fit, etc until there is a gap of say .010" between the race and the torqued in place hub. Or maybe just take it all in one swipe. My guess is you would want want to creep up on it and get the air gap as close as possible.

FSG

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 31, 2022, 12:16:07 PMAt the time I was planning to use the roller bearing that Baker ships with the Grudge Box.

glad you didn't do that   :SM:

Ohio HD

Quote from: FSG on May 31, 2022, 05:01:02 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 31, 2022, 12:16:07 PMAt the time I was planning to use the roller bearing that Baker ships with the Grudge Box.

glad you didn't do that   :SM:

I came to my senses.    :unsure:

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on May 31, 2022, 02:30:51 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 31, 2022, 11:40:26 AMThe clutch that will be used for this project will be a Bandit 039831 Sportsman Super Clutch. I remembered that there was some talk about some of the Bandit clutch baskets bottoming on the inner primary bearing race when an S&S race was used. I've had this clutch since 2016, had not been used.

I think the actual amount to be removed is somewhat variable as the location of the inner race is not absolute. If the goal is to keep as much of the hub on the shaft as possible then it might make sense to remove some material and fit it to the hub, remove some more, fit, etc until there is a gap of say .010" between the race and the torqued in place hub. Or maybe just take it all in one swipe. My guess is you would want want to creep up on it and get the air gap as close as possible.

The clutch that Bandit sent to me in 2018 (this one) was already 1.343". I was just checking with John that this length was their corrected length for use with the S&S race. He said that the length I have now is ok for the S&S race.

I agree though, if machining the length down, taking off a little at a time is the best approach.