March 28, 2024, 05:13:54 PM

News:

124" Project Storm Breaker

Started by Ohio HD, November 02, 2021, 05:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

I checked with Randy Torgeson, he contacted CP about my pistons and they say another 3 to 4 weeks before they ship.

I do have a question for anyone who's run an oil cooler adapter on S&S TC cases. The oil filter guys are telling me I need an adapter for S&S cases. I can't see why I would need the special S&S adapter. Below are photos of the oil filter mount from OEM HD cases and the S&S Twin Cam cases. 

Can anyone tell by these photos if the S&S cases need a special adapter for an oil cooler mount? I cant see whey it would be needed.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

SP33DY

I'm not familiar with a "special" adapter for S&S cases, The last S&S T motor that I put an oil cooler on used the parts in the Jagg kit. Just be sure the little part that prevents adaptor rotation is there. As I recall, it is a little triangle shaped piece that goes on the inner 2 bolts and wedges against the front of the engine case. Otherwise removing and installing the oil filter can cause the adaptor plate to come loose and leak.

Ohio HD

Thanks, I can't see where the case is any different. I'm familiar with the bracket you mentioned and may be using a kit from Ultra Cool. They have a similar part but only use it for 99' to 06' models. I guess I need to call them and ask why only those years use the part that keeps things from rotating.

kd

I can't help with the case difference but you may want to pay attention to the placement of 18 mm O2 sensor bung on the front head pipe if installed and you intend to use it for tuning comparison to the 12mm lower bung position by the trans.  It can get too close to the angle of the cable and interfere with installation.  I will look at mine and maybe post a pick later of what you want to watch for.
KD

hrdtail78

The inside of the casting looks a bit different to me.  Looks like the HD case has relief in the casting and then a shelf.  The S&S relief in this area are machined.  IIRC isn't that where the adapter triangles rest?  Might have a problem getting the adapter to fit inside the casting and mating to faying service.  Machining off triangles might be an option. :nix:
Semper Fi

Ohio HD

I finally found someone to order the Kramm-Lox. Most places didn't know what I was referring to, I'm sure CP Carrillo has tons of them, just that someone needs to know what to order. ProCycle in Oregon was the only place that said, yeah, I can get them for you. They drop shipped form CP to me.

Yeah, these will be much easier to put in place the first try.

cheech

Last set of CP pistons and rings I bought had that tool with them.

Wookie3011

January 10, 2022, 10:18:44 PM #57 Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 10:24:06 PM by Wookie3011 Reason: grammar
t's a great Idea! Never heard of Kramm-Lox but that isn't saying much. Seems alot safer and easier less chance of a mishap.

Ohio HD

I received call from Mr. Torgeson this afternoon. He finally got my pistons in from CP. My cylinders will be on the way there tomorrow. Finally moving along a little. Once I have the pistons here, a call to Dark Horse and have a new crank built using Carrillo rods. I don't know their lead time right now. I imagine this is their busiest time of the year.

Wookie3011

I ordered DH Man-O-War 4.625 Betas with DH competition Rods on Monday. They will be here tomorrow! Andrew said 4 weeks when I spoke to him but :scoot: perhaps they had them sitting there already? What's the difference in the CP Rods vs DH Comps? Just curious been waiting around for SE 4.625 flywheels since October. So I pulled the trigger on these and was gonna cancel the SE order. They will BOTH be here tomorrow :banghead:. I'll save the SE'S for another build send them to get the Hoban Love. It will however be interesting to have them side by side to see what's up. I read that HD uses Jim's for their SE Cranks but wasn't sure if there is any truth to this claim.

Ohio HD

January 13, 2022, 11:27:54 AM #60 Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 12:31:59 PM by Ohio HD
The CP Carrillo rods are made from stronger materials is the primary reason.

FYI. An SE 4.625" crank does not swap out directly with an S&S / DH stroker crank, the rod lengths are different. The SE crank needs to be used with SE 120r cylinders.

SE 4.625 = 7.575" rod length ~ 4.916" 120r cylinder
S&S 4.625 = 7.659" rod length late cranks ~ S&S 5.004" cylinder
DH 4.625 = 7.670" DH rods ~ S&S 5.004" cylinder
DH 4.625 = 7.660" Carrillo rods ~ S&S 5.004" cylinder

Ohio HD

January 20, 2022, 01:53:46 PM #61 Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 01:57:56 PM by Ohio HD
Finally a little forward movement. CP pistons arrived. I have them weighed, and will send them out with the S&S cylinders to have them fitted.

I weighed the pistons and parts and can now also get Darkhorse started on a new crank for me.

cheech

Seen your other post in the Hammer forum.
What happened with the cylinders going to Randy?

Ohio HD

January 21, 2022, 01:04:54 PM #63 Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:17:23 PM by Ohio HD
I had planned to have Randy size the cylinders for two reasons, one I bought the pistons from him, two I know he does good work. I was told there would be a 12 to 15 week lead time on the pistons. I decided to keep the cylinders here until the pistons arrived. I didn't want them sitting there and possibly getting lost or damaged somehow, or if the pistons just never arrived. At about 14 weeks I was told the pistons are in now. I said I'll send the cylinders. And then the pistons arrived here just before I shipped the cylinders out. Probably just some mix up.

I then decided that I'd send the cylinders to Hammer Performance as I really have interest in their CNC honing equipment they bought last year. Hammer is also an HTT site supporting shop, and I do try to support our HTT suppliers when I can. So far this motor project has six of our HTT suppliers goods and services in it.

Wookie3011

Good to see some action on your build and thread. Nice looking pistons for sure.  :up:

Ohio HD

CP does make very nice pistons. Strong, and machined accurately.

kd

I am too lazy to go back in the thread.  Are these pistons being coated?
KD

Ohio HD

No. I had considered it, but after talking to a couple of shops, they suggested I'm good as I'm running aluminum cylinders. Set the pistons at the proper clearance, break it in right and on a dyno, let it warm up before pounding it, all will be fine.

I pulled the same CP pistons out of the 117" I bought from Ray. 43k hard miles, they're barely scuffed.

kd

KD

Admiral Akbar

January 21, 2022, 08:02:40 PM #69 Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 11:56:51 PM by Ohio HD
Quote from: Ohio HD on January 20, 2022, 01:53:46 PMFinally a little forward movement. CP pistons arrived. I have them weighed, and will send them out with the S&S cylinders to have them fitted.

I weighed the pistons and parts and can now also get Darkhorse started on a new crank for me.

One piston with rings / pin and clips weights 586 grams?

Ohio HD

January 21, 2022, 08:16:40 PM #70 Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 09:32:29 PM by Ohio HD
Quote from: Admiral Akbar on January 21, 2022, 08:02:40 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on January 20, 2022, 01:53:46 PMFinally a little forward movement. CP pistons arrived. I have them weighed, and will send them out with the S&S cylinders to have them fitted.

One piston with rings / pin and clips weights 586 grams?

Yep. Here is the breakdown.

Another set I have, same bore, but with 2cc domes, the piston weighs 397 grams by it's self. These have 14cc domes, they weigh 425 grams by them selves.

Ohio HD

This is the piston spec sheet from CP.

Ohio HD

January 22, 2022, 02:48:26 PM #72 Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 02:52:36 PM by Ohio HD
Here are the heads that'll be used on the motor.

These started life as NOS SE 110+ heads. I acquired them new and the box still sealed.

Ohio HD

January 22, 2022, 02:51:43 PM #73 Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 02:56:38 PM by Ohio HD
This is after head work.
New valves, new springs, and port work,

Ohio HD

If Burns makes their pipe as robust as the "off road use only" decals they but on the exhaust, it should last forever. No doubt this system will pass more exhaust volume than the Boarzilla I'm using now.