April 18, 2024, 12:46:31 AM

News:

Cylinder base gasket leaking oil.

Started by 4DogsanaHog, November 03, 2021, 05:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4DogsanaHog

November 03, 2021, 05:37:09 AM Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 05:42:45 AM by 4DogsanaHog
It's a 1999 Heritage Softail Classic with 53,000 miles. The bike does not burn oil but the rear cylinder is leaking oil through the cylinder base gasket. My question is should I just pull the cylinder and leave the piston on the connecting rod or should I remove the wrist pin clip, tap the wrist pin out some and leave the piston in the cylinder then replace the base gasket, as to keep the piston rings in place?
You can't get rid of a bad temper by losing it!

wfolarry

4DogsanaHog

So I can just pull the cylinder off, replace the gasket and put it back together. No need to hone the cylinders?

Ohio HD

The cylinder can be placed back on to the piston. Just check ring spacing as you would on a new installation.

4DogsanaHog

Thanks for the Replies. You have just saved me a lot of work. Thanks again to both of you.

4DogsanaHog

November 03, 2021, 06:34:01 AM #5 Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 06:53:56 AM by 4DogsanaHog
I think I will just remove the cylinders. I don't think relaxing the rings will do anything negative. I  was just worried about the seating of the rings. One more question. What is the torque for tightening the base bolts (nuts) and head bolts?

Deye76

Usually the cylinder base and/or the engine case surfaces are not flat when a rear base gasket on a Evo leaks. Might want to consider this-https://www.haydensm6.com/tof_single.htm
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

4DogsanaHog

Is there an easy way to check flatness of the engine case?

Ohio HD

You might try using a precision straight edge and very thin feeler gauges. Ideally a dial indicator mounted and passed across the case service would tell.

4DogsanaHog

Ok, so what would be the tolerance? .001, or less? .0001?

Hossamania

Unless I were planning on tearing it completely down if necessary to have the case machined and rebuild the motor, I would just put a new gasket on it and ride. The previous one lasted 22 years.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

thumper 823

Usually, the Evo will get a pucker around the studs.
Pull the studs and choose your weapon to flatten it all out.
Install better grade stud.
Don't get any shavings dwn inside of course.
   Or take the case halves to the proper machine shop.
choices.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

RTMike

The stock gaskets were crap,replace then with cometic gaskets and go.

tdrglide

In the past I have replaced leaking stock with James base gaskets. Last one I did  was with Cometic. Good time to go with a thinner head gaskets usually too

thumper 823

If ya have Vergin heads, it's a great time to rip at least 0.50 off them.

Ohio HD

Quote from: 4DogsanaHog on November 03, 2021, 05:37:09 AM
It's a 1999 Heritage Softail Classic with 53,000 miles. The bike does not burn oil but the rear cylinder is leaking oil through the cylinder base gasket. My question is should I just pull the cylinder and leave the piston on the connecting rod or should I remove the wrist pin clip, tap the wrist pin out some and leave the piston in the cylinder then replace the base gasket, as to keep the piston rings in place?

You should read this post about base gasket leak and cure.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,115559.0/all.html

jsachs1

Check for a possible stud pulling out. If everything checks OK, get some "Pig Tails" and install, with a fresh metal COMETIC base gasket. :up:
John

SixShooter14

for what it's worth...I did the pigtails, metal gaskets, and had the cylinder bases 'surfaced' in early 2020 and after only 6k miles have no leaks at all..... It doesn't hurt to try all the remedies.

(also new studs and head 'nuts' bored the cylinders and bumped compression a bit, but that's neither here nor there)
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Hillside Motorcycle

Evo, (and T/C for that matter) did not come from HD with any machining done to the cylinder base.
"As cast" surface only.
We mount the cylinder in a fixture, with the ID running on true C/L, and then skim machine the cylinder base.
The base is then totally perpendicular to the bore C/L.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hossamania

Call California Phil, a vendor on their site.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

aswracing

Quote from: thumper 823 on November 03, 2021, 11:47:43 AM
If ya have Vergin heads, it's a great time to rip at least 0.50 off them.

Half an inch off the heads?

Good luck with that.

thumper 823

I think most people can read beyond a typo?
To clarify  0.050
There, feel better?

4DogsanaHog

Just curious. How much more power would you get by shaving .050 off the heads? Or what difference would shaving .050 off the heads? I have a set of like new  very low mileage heads for my Evo. They are shaved down to .060. Maybe I should install these?

thumper 823

Check your clearances as per SOP.
And install them!
You will have upped your CR a point or two.
Slippery slope and it is the way to travel.

fleetmechanic

When I attended the factory police mechanics classes  in 1992 they were already on the 14th version of the base gasket since 1984.