March 28, 2024, 10:10:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Output seal 12052A, which way around would you fit it?

Started by 1340evo, November 03, 2021, 06:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

This is the output seal from the inner primary that goes on the push on inner race.
The seal itself is kind of backwards which if fitted normally would leave the spring on the outside? Where as I've always thought the spring on a seal should face the fluid you are trying to keep in?

Problem there is the outside would be metal and may rust??

Any thoughts on this one?

Deye76

Service manual isn't very clear, but appears to have the spring on the outside. Do you remember how it was when you removed?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Coyote

This question was asked and answered in another of your threads. The spring goes against the bearing retaining clip. It's in the manual.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

1340evo

its not in my manual?
thats how I'd think it goes, but everything I've seen has it the other way?

JBarrettB

The seal is marked. It has 'Oil Side' clearly marked on one side.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

1340evo

Quote from: JBarrettB on November 03, 2021, 12:06:17 PM
The seal is marked. It has 'Oil Side' clearly marked on one side.

JB

will take a look when it arrives.. thanks

JW113

Any spring loaded lip seal that I have ever heard of, the spring goes toward the "wet" side.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

1340evo

Quote from: JW113 on November 05, 2021, 03:38:38 PM
Any spring loaded lip seal that I have ever heard of, the spring goes toward the "wet" side.

-JW

I'd agree... all installed and bolting back together!... lets get a ride or two in before the snow arrives!

Thunder76

yankee dog

The new style seal has a spring (and a lip) on both sides:

http://sportsterpedia.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/pdf-bulletin:tsb1148.pdf

So the "hollow" or "open" end of the seal faces the engine side. The "closed" face of the new style seal faces the inner primary bearing.

It's a little bit of a challenge pressing the seal on with the just the skinny edge of the seal (outer rim), but it can be done. Do not fit a socket or piece of pipe into the recess of the seal to press it in. You will damage (warp) the seal.
94 FXDS, EVL3010, Cycle Shack slip ons, Wiseco 8.5:1, .035 squish, ultima ign.

JW113

Yeah well that's why they make race/seal drivers, eh?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Buglet

You cannot see attachments on this board. This puts the seal in perfect. Holds in center and presses on outside edge.