April 15, 2024, 09:53:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cam sprocket bolt question

Started by rich1, November 04, 2021, 09:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1

Greetings. I've read that the cam and crank sprocket bolts are one time use. So I bought the bolt kit. I over looked something and had to remove the cam sprocket bolt and retorque it. Should I replace it?

hrdtail78

I reuse them all the time.   Tq according to specs and make sure the cam bolt hole is clean. 
Semper Fi

rich1

Thanks for the reply. I can find that the bolts are torque to yield. They come with a red loctite patch on them. Maybe that's the reason

rbabos

Quote from: rich1 on November 05, 2021, 01:07:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. I can find that the bolts are torque to yield. They come with a red loctite patch on them. Maybe that's the reason
Not sure how you can get an accurate torque to yield with that loctite patch on the bolt. If in fact it's torque to yield, it shouldn't be reused, but it's done every day.
Ron

Hossamania

I've reused them many times with no issues.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

road-dawgs1

IIRC, service manual instructions advised to clean and use red loctite if reusing. Could be wrong though as it's been awhile.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Karl H.

Quote from: road-dawgs1 on November 05, 2021, 06:16:05 PM
IIRC, service manual instructions advised to clean and use red loctite if reusing. Could be wrong though as it's been awhile.
That's what I found as well in my 2019 service manual.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

jamminhd2000

If I was to over look something (and I have!) I would clean both bolt and thread hole, primer, re-loctite and torque. If the bike has been heat cycled and ran I would use a new one. Same process on a gasket. This is what I follow as a rule on my bike...customers bike is different story....new one every time not worth a problem later, not to mention it hits me in the pocket book and teaches me not to overlook again!....jimmy

rich1

LOL. I was tired and forgot to put the chain on first. Good news is everything was as clean as you could get it and that loctite patch that comes on the bolts stayed on. As far as I could tell. So engine wasn't started.

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on November 05, 2021, 02:55:16 PMI've reused them many times with no issues.

I have to retract this, that refers to Twin Cams, didn't realize this was M8 section, not quite used to the new layout yet.

rich1

Quote from: Hossamania on November 09, 2021, 05:38:06 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on November 05, 2021, 02:55:16 PMI've reused them many times with no issues.

I have to retract this, that refers to Twin Cams, didn't realize this was M8 section, not quite used to the new layout yet.

They use the same bolts as the Twin Cam

Hossamania

Quote from: rich1 on November 09, 2021, 12:21:27 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on November 09, 2021, 05:38:06 AM

They use the same bolts as the Twin Cam

Makes sense.

HV

As a note....Lately we have had a few break the heads off the Cam bolts and cause issues ....may just be a bad batch ...all in bikes that have had new Cams installed or been apart by various dealers  4 and counting
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

ziggy24

The bolts only job is to hold the sprocket on their respective shafts. There is no side load on them. Both shafts are splined. I wouldn't worry about them. However, i would thread chase the threads and clean up the bolts and use loctite.