May 01, 2024, 10:03:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Engine problems after 95" build part II - help needed

Started by Adam76, November 07, 2021, 11:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

Forgot to post - found where some of the metal originally came from... seems like a piston oil jet was sheared off.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

koko3052

Quote from: Adam76 on February 01, 2022, 11:49:54 PMForgot to post - found where some of the metal originally came from... seems like a piston oil jet was sheared off.

Wouldn't there have to be a mark on the piston skirt?

98fxstc

Quote from: Adam76 on February 01, 2022, 11:49:54 PMForgot to post - found where some of the metal originally came from... seems like a piston oil jet was sheared off.

Can't quite make out your notes   :teeth:

Adam76

Back in business. New crankshaft in, cases back together and top end installed.

Norton Commando

Congratulations!

Wishing you smooth sailing for the remainder of the project.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

jamminhd2000

Quote from: Adam76 on February 06, 2022, 07:00:13 PMBack in business. New crankshaft in, cases back together and top end installed.

Great time to pressure test the interconnect seal

turboprop

Here is another good idea. Lap the plunger and seat in the cam plate and then adjust its pop off pressure. You have come pretty far with this project, but still many little details that should be checked. The risk of not doing this is staying awake at night thinking that the engine is doing bad things because you didnt check this.

Enjoy.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Adam76

Quote from: turboprop on February 07, 2022, 10:49:01 AMHere is another good idea. Lap the plunger and seat in the cam plate and then adjust its pop off pressure. You have come pretty far with this project, but still many little details that should be checked. The risk of not doing this is staying awake at night thinking that the engine is doing bad things because you didnt check this.

Enjoy.

Thanks 👍  this was done with the last time I put the cam chest back together.
Cheers

FSG

and remember ....

Quote from: FSG on August 18, 2017, 03:43:59 PMWARNING:  Do not mix up the Cam Cover Cap Screws with the Camplate Cap Screws, they are longer and you run the risk of putting a dimple in the lifter bore and that would surely ruin your day.

FSG

and .......

Quote from: FSG on March 24, 2019, 11:22:29 AM
Quote from: FSG on October 22, 2013, 07:09:18 PM:up:   and the holes in the case for those bolts need cleaning too, I use brake clean with the long thin straw on it to get to the base of the hole, I then blow them out with a football needle fitted to an air nozzle.

JSD

Quote from: ziggy24 on January 14, 2022, 03:15:12 AM
Quote from: Adam76 on January 07, 2022, 06:49:47 PMI have the bottom end back in the frame all bolted up and ready for the top end. Just waiting on some .040" head gaskets (Thanks Don) because with the .030" and the piston's dome volume of 6.7 has pushed my actual corrected compression to 9.8 and my ccp to 213.
With the .040" HG I'm at 9.64 corrected and 208 ccp -- still not sure that's going to be ok especially with the bike being carbed not EFI. It will be getting dyno tuned though and it has DTT ignition module.

Any tips / tricks on slipping the cylinders down over the pistons during assembly? What's the best method? Ring compressor tool?

Thanks

This works well:

Ring Compressor
Snap On sell in AU

Adam76

Hi guys,
Can anyone confirm that I have the top cylinder dowel o-rings in the right place?
Left is front and right is rear cyl.
FSM isn't too clear on this one...
Thanks

Don D

No orings there. Cometic head gaskets, MLS, fit tight on the dowels. The older composite gaskets used the orings many years ago. There are orings that go on the bottom in the receiver grooves of the dowels. Look at the online parts book on Ronnies Microfiche for details.

Ohio HD

O-rings go here in the case. First a dowel is inserted, then the o-ring, then the cylinder.

Scotty

Been over 22 years now that Harley stopped using o-rings on top of the cylinder on 95" upgrades and a couple of years later even on the stock 88" bikes.
Cometic metal head gaskets have never used them as far as I am aware.

Adam76

Quote from: HD Street Performance on February 18, 2022, 07:08:06 PMNo orings there. Cometic head gaskets, MLS, fit tight on the dowels. The older composite gaskets used the orings many years ago. There are orings that go on the bottom in the receiver grooves of the dowels. Look at the online parts book on Ronnies Microfiche for details.

Roger that.
Cheers

Adam76

Quote from: Scotty on February 18, 2022, 11:18:45 PMBeen over 22 years now that Harley stopped using o-rings on top of the cylinder on 95" upgrades and a couple of years later even on the stock 88" bikes.
Cometic metal head gaskets have never used them as far as I am aware.

Thanks  :up:  :up:

Big Dave

Its been a while since an update , hope things are going well

Dave

Wookie3011

Yes, how about an update. Love to see a happy ending. Is she up and skooting like you always dreamed? How's the power? Hope all is great as I've intently watched your build and did my own softail in the process with the information contained within this thread. Lots of good information.  :chop:

Armin

G'day Adam, yes,  how has your project developed and hopefully you weren't affected by the desastrous flooding situation. Good luck!

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

Ohio HD

Quote from: Adam76 on February 05, 2022, 01:20:51 AMHey, I'm picking up a 2021 Heritage with the 107 motor and doing a cam change.

I was going with the S&S 475 cam and a Pro Pipe, but I've read a lot of people say that this cam doesn't really kick in until 3000rpm and then absolutely takes off... That's not really my riding style - I like a wide TQ / power band from 2200 - 5000.

With the pro pipe, will I get more low end TQ back with the 475 cam? Or should I be looking at a different cam??

Thanks.

Adam is out riding.    :teeth:

Adam76

Thanks guys, I was about to post an update.

No, I'm not out riding Ohio although I'm pretty close.

I finished buttoning everything up yesterday and then went to hit the starter button to see if it all came together well. Unfortunately I had some starter issues - kinda like the whirring sound you get when you have a bad starter clutch. But I had just installed a new starter clutch so I knew it wasn't that.... I pulled the primary cover off and reset the starter jackshaft, put it back together and BAM it fired up nicely.  :SM:

Now I just have to work on my CV carb tuning skills to get the bike on the road for a break in ride.

Thanks everyone.

Adam76

March 15, 2022, 07:08:20 PM #323 Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 07:23:24 PM by Adam76
Hey guys,
I managed to get the bike to run for less than a minute on full choke, with a slight amount of running rough and a little spitting and miss firing....

A soon as I ease off the choke a bit it just completely dies  -- even holding the throttle open 50%

I also noticed that when the bike is not running, and a twist the throttle, no fuel is squirted onto the needle?

I had no carb issues before I rebuilt the motor for the second time, and I've made sure I've got no vacuum leaks with a very good seal onto the manifold...

Any ideas what could be wrong this time around?   Carbs aren't my strong suit.

Cheers

Hossamania

Did you get the spring and diaphragm correctly installed in the accelerator pump?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.