April 24, 2024, 09:31:14 AM

News:

Removing Piston Pins

Started by Ratfade, November 09, 2021, 06:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratfade

I'm in the process of removing the heads and cylinders on my '94 Electra Glide (with 103,000 miles) to have both refurbished. 30,000 of those miles are mine, and I really don't know what was done before. The pistons tops were so carboned up you almost couldn't see the valve reliefs.
After the heads and cylinders were off, I used a puller to try to remove the piston pins, but they didn't move much at all. Being afraid of bending or breaking something, I decided to call it a night.
I'd welcome any suggestions to help get these out. BTW, it wasn't that easy to get the cylinder off the piston. Had to "help" it a bit.

kd

Determine if the pin is being held by the rod or the piston.  You can use heat from a pointed flame propane torch to expand the culprit hole(s) and the pin should tap out.  If not, let the assembly cool and re-heat the pin hole(s) but this time spray some compressed air from an aerosol can (computer cleaner) through the pin hole. It is very cold in short time.  That may shrink it enough to let it slide with ease.  All this of course is ensuring no undue side stress is placed on the rod assembly when persuading the pin to move.  This has worked well for me.
KD

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Not being a ****. Did you remove the Circlips?
Tom

Ratfade

Good question,but yes, I did. :teeth:

SP33DY

If it's stubborn you can use a piece of 3/8" all-thread, two nuts and washers and a 13/16 deep well socket. Using the socket as a reciever for the pin, gently tighten the nuts and the pin should walk right out. Sometimes there is a slight burr at the circlip that you need to get past that may require a little bit of effort.

Coyote

Not unusual. It's why they make this tool.

PULLER

turboprop

Quote from: Ratfade on November 09, 2021, 06:33:54 PMI'm in the process of removing the heads and cylinders on my '94 Electra Glide (with 103,000 miles) to have both refurbished. 30,000 of those miles are mine, and I really don't know what was done before. The pistons tops were so carboned up you almost couldn't see the valve reliefs.
After the heads and cylinders were off, I used a puller to try to remove the piston pins, but they didn't move much at all. Being afraid of bending or breaking something, I decided to call it a night.
I'd welcome any suggestions to help get these out. BTW, it wasn't that easy to get the cylinder off the piston. Had to "help" it a bit.

What puller did you use?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ratfade

To Coyote and Turbo:
One very much like the one in the picture.

Ratfade

Long ago I gave myself a Prime Directive; it says don't work in the garage late at night because I'll do things that I'd never do during daylight.
All the clips were NOT removed. Now they are. Mission accomplished.
Thanks. :oops: