April 20, 2024, 08:22:23 AM

News:

Splicing wires

Started by Barrett, November 13, 2021, 12:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrett

I made a mistake and pinched the wires on my powervision target tune.
I asked them if I could send it in to replace the wires and the response was negative.
I know it was my mistake and was willing to pay for it but I guess they don't repair their products.
Is it okay to splice the wires? I would rather not but my options are limited.

76shuvlinoff

In a pinch we even splice damaged fiber optics at work. Don't see why you couldn't splice those wires.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

hbkeith

i wouldnt use a Butt Splice , i would solder them , they be fine

smoserx1

IMO the more current a wire is carrying the more critical a splice is.  I have used butt splices for as long as I can remember with generally good results.  I prefer the non-insulated type in conjunction with heat shrink tubing.  I have a very good ratcheting crimping tool (I dimple the connector opposite the longitudinal crease) on each end then slip the tubing over the splice so the tubing extends past the ends a half inch or so.  you can also use conventional splices with heat shrink insulation, and I have seen solder filled ones that require no crimping, you just insert the wire ends and apply heat to the center of the splice till the solder melts.  No experienced with those.  I'm attaching a pic of connectors with heat shrink insulation.  Notice how the glue has slightly run out of the ends assuring an airtight connection? This my maxi  fuse conversion on my 99 FLHT, and it has operated with no problems even though this is a fairly high current situation.  Should be no different for a splice.

Barrett

Thanks. I was probably overthinking it. I was careful on the install but had to replace the fuel line and filter in the tank and while waiting for parts I decided to put my nos bottle back on and that's when I messed up. When I tried to fire it up only one cylinder was hitting.   

Hossamania

What have you got to lose by trying to splice it? If it works, much cheaper than a new unit. If not, no loss.
I'm a solder guy, but if butt splices will work, go for it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Hossamania on November 13, 2021, 06:59:49 AMWhat have you got to lose by trying to splice it? If it works, much cheaper than a new unit. If not, no loss.
I'm a solder guy, but if butt splices will work, go for it.
What he said ^^ I've never had a butt splice fail, but I prefer solder/shrink tubing.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Barrett

I just overthink Everything. I also pinched the one to the display and there was no way to splice that one.
I bought a new cable. They got crushed between the frame and the battery housing.
It has been one thing after another with my Fatbob. I could have bought another bike with the money I spent on this one.
I'm looking for rims now so I can get some decent rubber. Nobody sells sticky tires for 16"ers. The Shinko is only a 150. I have a 200 Avon Cobra on the rear but it would spin too much with the little 96". This bike will see the 1/8th often.

tdrglide

Just use the butt splice crimp connectors with built-in shrink tube

hbkeith

Quote from: Barrett on November 13, 2021, 08:13:06 AMI'm looking for rims now so I can get some decent rubber. Nobody sells sticky tires for 16"ers. The Shinko is only a 150. I have a 200 Avon Cobra on the rear but it would spin too much with the little 96". This bike will see the 1/8th often.
Have you tryed that 200 Cobra on a Track yet ? I run a 160 x 17 Shinko stealth on my dragbike and it hooks good on a Track , big differance than launching on the street

Barrett

Quote from: hbkeith on November 13, 2021, 02:15:24 PM
Quote from: Barrett on November 13, 2021, 08:13:06 AMI'm looking for rims now so I can get some decent rubber. Nobody sells sticky tires for 16"ers. The Shinko is only a 150. I have a 200 Avon Cobra on the rear but it would spin too much with the little 96". This bike will see the 1/8th often.
Have you tryed that 200 Cobra on a Track yet ? I run a 160 x 17 Shinko stealth on my dragbike and it hooks good on a Track , big differance than launching on the street
This bike hasn't been there yet. I understand the track prep and I know I don't need a 200 on it if I go Shinko.
I think the 150 will be too small.
I'm probably going with R1 rims. Dropping a few lbs will be a plus. 

Barrett

My Zx12 Smoking a ZX10. The bars and bottle came later.
I'm Not expecting to go this fast on my Harley. Just having fun.