April 24, 2024, 08:19:38 AM

News:

Fuel pressure regulator- diagnostic help

Started by Otis1972, November 13, 2021, 07:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otis1972

04 Heritage with 57K miles, the only mechanical problem ever has been the fuel pressure regulator; replaced about 5 years ago. Coming back from long ride, first noticed some backfiring, went to start later engine was missing, tried to ride a few feet, heavier missing, would have stalled completely. Bike seemed to behave same way when the previous regulator when out.

When turning ignition switch to run (without starting bike), the typical sound is very different - it is kinda like a dry sucking sound. 

Would fuel pressure regulator be your first guess? Wondering if anyone else has been through multiple regulators? Thanks

Coyote

Fill the tank and see if it goes away.  If so, check the fuel line, inside the tank, for a pin hole. You may also hear the fuel spray if you open the cap before filling.

Sycho01

Is the fuel gauge any good? The tank could be close to empty and the pump is loosing suction. Add a half gallon then listen inside the tank. Go from there.

markymark

Look inside tank and turn on switch. Look for fuel spray. I used to carry a spare with me to change in an emergency. Did one in a hotel parking lot once. I think Trask used to market an aluminum regulator housing.

Otis1972

Quote from: markymark on November 14, 2021, 07:39:26 AMLook inside tank and turn on switch. Look for fuel spray. I used to carry a spare with me to change in an emergency. Did one in a hotel parking lot once. I think Trask used to market an aluminum regulator housing.

Thanks Mark, When turning on the switch I see some ripples in the gas. I think this is normal?

However, I looked at my old posts, I had the same issues when this happened back in 2014. Also the bike went from 1300 feet elevation to 7000 and back down yesterday, so I'm pretty convinced it is the fuel pressure regulator. Do you have any helpful tips for changing the regulator to a guy who wisely limits his mechanical work to fluid changes?

markymark

Just pull the pump unit out. Pick up some new clamps fro HD. Sometimes a little tricky getting the unit out of the tank

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Tom

actonern

Sounds exactly like what happened to my bike. 06...

The regulator was fine, but the 2 plastic tabs that hold it in place had cracked and released their grip, allowing the O ring to swell out and spray fuel.  A common problem, I'm told, those regulator housings...

Otis1972

Thanks all for the data I was looking for. I'm gonna invest in the trask aluminum regulator housing, official harley hose clamps and pliers. Its fun to spend $25 on a tool you hope you'll only use once every 10 yrs.

fleetmechanic

The small hose clamps are known as Oetiker clamps and the pliers for these can be had in the plumbing and sprinkler areas of larger hardware stores.  Much better price than HD.

cheech

Quote from: Otis1972 on November 15, 2021, 06:59:11 PMThanks all for the data I was looking for. I'm gonna invest in the trask aluminum regulator housing, official harley hose clamps and pliers. Its fun to spend $25 on a tool you hope you'll only use once every 10 yrs.
Is the OEM tool through Harley, really that cheap?
I'd be surprised.

If it's more, the link below has a excellent brand in straight jaw and dual jaw.

Knipex

cheech

Quote from: fleetmechanic on November 16, 2021, 11:00:43 AMThe small hose clamps are known as Oetiker clamps and the pliers for these can be had in the plumbing and sprinkler areas of larger hardware stores.  Much better price than HD.

And get the clamps at McMaster for I'd guess way cheaper also.
Scroll down to; "Tight-Seal Vibration-Resistant Pinch Clamps for Firm Hose and Tube"
They are Oetiker

Oetiker

Otis1972

Checked with Trask, ACE, local HD, Home Depot and two other cycle shops, no luck. Looks like I've have to order online and wait about a week to get the crimping tool, and it does not have a cutter. What a PITA.

Probably too risky to think about, but has anyone gotten away with just regular stainless hose clamps, that tighten with a screw? 

Coyote

Any autoparts store will have them. Heck, tile nippers will do it just fine.

bump

Quote from: Otis1972 on November 17, 2021, 02:37:35 PMChecked with Trask, ACE, local HD, Home Depot and two other cycle shops, no luck. Looks like I've have to order online and wait about a week to get the crimping tool, and it does not have a cutter. What a PITA.

Probably too risky to think about, but has anyone gotten away with just regular stainless hose clamps, that tighten with a screw? 

That is what I used when I replaced the regulator housing in fuel pump. The regulator is just a spring abd ball that lets fuel bypass if pressure is to high.

Norton Commando

I bought a used 2010 Moto Guzi Cafe recently and discovered that the previous owner had made two fuel line connections with worm-gear hose clamps. I plan to replace them at some point with Oetiker clmaps, but so far no leaks with the worm-gear clamps.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Otis1972

It was indeed the broken wings on the regulator housing. Not a job for the impatient. I had so much trouble getting the fuel hoses on, I decided to put the hose to the check valve on before putting the assembly back in the tank. I did not get the send unit back in the right place and now my low fuel light is permanently on. Just going to live with it. Am I correct in assuming it won't not affect anything except the fuel gauge? Bike runs like new.  Has anyone just cut the friggin send unit off? Love my odometer as my fuel gauge.

apendejo

I just finished replacing everything inside the tank of my 03 Ultraclassic. Also scraped and removed all the grey epoxy sealer that was mostly flaked off.
Too many years of alc gasoline and the Az heat took its toll.
All plastic hoses in the tank crumbled like cheap potato chips, fuel pump intake screen was dissolved and missing, fuel filter was plugged.
The bike ran great until I parked it in my garage for 2 months due to not being able to ride.
Runs like a new bike again, 300 bucks in parts and a lot of patience.

hrdtail78

Quote from: Otis1972 on November 24, 2021, 11:41:46 AMIt was indeed the broken wings on the regulator housing. Not a job for the impatient. I had so much trouble getting the fuel hoses on, I decided to put the hose to the check valve on before putting the assembly back in the tank. I did not get the send unit back in the right place and now my low fuel light is permanently on. Just going to live with it. Am I correct in assuming it won't not affect anything except the fuel gauge? Bike runs like new.  Has anyone just cut the friggin send unit off? Love my odometer as my fuel gauge.

I have removed them.  If you don't plug the gauge in under the tank.  You wont get a light.  Worm clamps can tear the tube.  That is why they are not recommended.
Semper Fi