April 17, 2024, 11:12:30 PM

News:

Another Tire Thread

Started by Deye76, November 16, 2021, 06:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

Looking for input (not a debate on radials vs bias). When it's time to replace tires on my Lowrider S, I would like to install radials. I did the calculations on the available load capacity of this bike, and with rider, passenger, gear etc. do not exceed that number. The rear tire I want to use has a load rating of 84 pounds greater than the OE, the front tire I want to use has a load rating 33 pounds less than OE, will I be asking for trouble with these?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

04 SE Deuce

What ya lookn' at?

You know what I'd likely run,  Cobra Chrome which I believe is radial rear and bias front.  I've run a few combos of R rear, B front and my butt sensor always approved.

Deye76

Looking at Cobra Chrome, front 120/70 ZR 19 (60W) 
Rear 180/60 R 16 80H.
The front that came with the bike is a 110/19, plenty of room for a 120.

PC_Hater

The weight ratings tell you what loading the tyre will handle at its rated maximum speed.
The 'Z' rating means it is OK at the rated load traveling at 149mph.
Going slower? Then you 'overload it' safely.
I wouldn't want to ride your bike heavily loaded above 130mph though...
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

04 SE Deuce

The Avon Cobra Chrome 110/90-19 specs 119mm width & 26.9" diameter the 120/70-19 is 123mm x 25.6".

Keep in mind that the 120/70 is measured on a wider rim so hardly any width difference compared to the 110/90.  Avon designs cruiser tires for applications and often adds a little width compared to other brands and slightly less diameter on some sizes.

Although shorter sidewalls are typically more performance oriented I personal am always looking for more lean angle on a cruiser and wouldn't give up diameter. 

John the sizes you are looking at are 1.3" front & 1" rear less diameter than the Avon spec tires.  It's possible that the proper Avon spec sizes are slightly less diameter compared to the stock Michelins...not sure on that as Michelin sucks for spec info and I haven't measured one.

kd

I might add to the good information given already by mentioning the effect it may have on ABS brake systems.  A few years ago Ohio put together a great calculator to determine the differential diameter measurements of tires to determine if a specific tire combination would cause the ABS to malfunction. I may have lost it in my bookmarks with the update. I can't find it in my calculator file.  :emsad:
KD

Ohio HD

We parked the files in John Sachs home made tools forum.

FSG had a hand in this as well. I think it was his LEFT!    :wink:

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,105065.msg1243981.html#msg1243981

Deye76

"Michelin sucks for spec info"
Man you got that right, can't find the OE tires for my model on their site, let alone specs.
I'm looking for a little wider front tire, why I chose the Avon radial, as it's the only one offered in a 19", wider than the 110. I like a little more width on the front in the curves. I hadn't thought about affect with ABS, thanks KD. Thanks for the link Brian.

JW113

Educate me, fellers. What does a radial tire bring to the party? Years ago when they first showed up on cars, it was all about better traction from sidewall compliance. Seems like you would not want that on a bike, would ya? Heck I don't know. I know the sport bikes been running them for years, so there is clearly something to it. What, I have no clue. Educate me, please!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

harpwrench

I've run cobra radials on the rear of my ultra and they ride much better, also gear it down slightly, win/win

fbn ent

A lot of the guys around here were running Cobras. They got better mileage than the stock tires also and had nothing bad to say about them
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

motorhogman

JW here's short video. maybe explains some of the reasons why..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Deye76 on November 18, 2021, 04:18:07 PMI'm looking for a little wider front tire, why I chose the Avon radial, as it's the only one offered in a 19", wider than the 110. I like a little more width on the front in the curves.

Measured on the same width rim the tire your looking at will be the same width as the proper fitment 110...doubt if there is more than 2mm difference. 

Cornering grip won't be as much concern as limited lean angle with your bike a fat 1/2" lower...

Deye76

Quote from: 04 SE Deuce on November 19, 2021, 12:02:00 PM
Quote from: Deye76 on November 18, 2021, 04:18:07 PMI'm looking for a little wider front tire, why I chose the Avon radial, as it's the only one offered in a 19", wider than the 110. I like a little more width on the front in the curves.

Measured on the same width rim the tire your looking at will be the same width as the proper fitment 110...doubt if there is more than 2mm difference. 

Cornering grip won't be as much concern as limited lean angle with your bike a fat 1/2" lower...

Ok the 120 won't make a a felt difference, only looks. If I'm  interpreting correctly.

04 SE Deuce

I've not used radial front on a cruiser, only on sport bikes...different animal.  If radial front had advantages on a cruiser some manufacture(s) would be doing it.  I've ran lots of bias/front, radial/rear combos with zero issues.

A member that use to contribute here quit a bit tried an Avon radial front on his 07 EG and didn't care for it but IIRC it was paired with a bias rear.

I guess what I was attempting to say is Avon (almost uniquely) tries to give cruiser riders what they want (little more width etc.) in a tire that works well for the application.

The front radial your looking at won't be wider on the same width rim and is too short on diameter...you would have 5/8" more fender gap.   

The H speed rated 180/70 rear your looking at is very likely a lesser performer compared to the V rated 180/70 that is application correct.

If your goal is to lower the bike I've seen no limit to the choices people are willing make/share/support when it comes to handicapping a bike.

You'll have the biggest smile rolling down the road with the fitment Avon has developed/recommends.

Deye76

Thank You SE Deuce, I was not wanting to lower the bike, I'm grinding the pegs now, I just wanted something a little wider in the front, and the only thing offered was a radial. I will stick with the application for my bike, appreciate the response.